Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Lap Timers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lap Timers
Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dizzy  Ford pictures for Dizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First of for a beginner do you guys even recommend a lap timer?

The 2 different timers that I have been looking into are the Ultra lap and the Hot Lap timer. Those two are pretty much in my budget and I haven’t found anything else that is better in that price range at least.

Also any tips on how to mount the sensor without a cage?

Any info would be appreciated. [patriot]

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Hot Lap timer in my car. Without a cage, you will need to fab a bracket to hang it. I would try to make an adapter to mount it off the coat hanger mount in the back seat. It needs to point visibly out the window with nothing blocking it. Also make sure you make the mount universal so you can mount on right or left, depending on what track you are on. If you need help, I am sure we can help design something for you. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dizzy  Ford pictures for Dizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you even recommend one for a first time beginner?

And thanks it be great if you can help me with a mount. I have no back seats so I think we can fab something up pretty easy.

[ January 03, 2006, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Dizzy ]

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's so much to learn as a beginner that in my opinion, the money would be better spent on more seat time.

When you are ready to buy, the Hot Lap timer is probably best. Only get the in-car receiver. There's no need to get a transmitter as someone invariably sets one up at the track.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Until you get to an intermediate, or advanced level of driving I wouldn't get one. It's been proven to be more of a distraction to drivers with less driving skill as they tend to push the car harder then their driving experience, trying to beat their times. Once you are at a level of being consitant enough, then its quite valuable. I know I love mine. We use it in comparring times when changing set-ups, or even when we test other cars. Like Steve said, you will only need the reciever. Most tracks have a transmitter for a hot lap, and if some reason they don't Some one always sets on up.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dizzy  Ford pictures for Dizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys thats the kind of advice I was looking for.

I hope to make my first open track event soon and have been researching what I should do to get ready.

So far make sure I have a cooling system up to par! [patriot]

[ January 04, 2006, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Dizzy ]

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Yep, cooling and brakes!

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Dizzy
¯
Member # 884

I know im no where near needing some, but at what point are brake ducts needed?
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

When you start cooking your brakes. Biggest advice I can give you. Take your time. First time out, feel free to use you entire first session, to drive at 2/3 speed. This will give you time to find the correct line, entry, exit point, and brake and throttle points. Speed will come naturally.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com