Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Autopower roll bar into '03 cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Autopower roll bar into '03 cobra
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought I'd throw some pic's up from our web site of the Autopower bar I installed in our customers '03 Cobra. Fit and finish turned out to be excellent. While this bar isn't an expensive custom bar it does have the advantage of being bolted into the car within a day. This is Autopower's 2" diameter .120 thick bar with the optional rear harness brace and diag. brace. Both of which can be removed for street duty and will allow full access to the rear seat. This bar fits '96 and later hardtops. For those of you looking for some roll over protection out in the turns.

-

-

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What plates did you put on the underside of the body. Just curious, becuase I am manufacturing some to be used with the autopower bolt in bars.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We just used the plates that came in the kit for the underside. If a person wanted a little more they could take a 1/8" 6X6 steel plate and drill the three holes in it I imagine. If you wanted to go that far with it I'd also cut the top plates off and just weld new ones onto the tubing to match the 6X6 lower plates. Just depends on what you want out of the kit. This bar provides decent roll over protection but it isn't very good for strengthing the cars structure do to it's mounting locations. There is a difference in stiffness in the car but nothing like a car that has a bar tied into the structure of the car instead of the floor pan/wheel wells.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, we are making the plates that go under the car, to make its mounting legal to run in NASA. (hence I'm a CNC Machinist.) So if you ever do one, and they want a legal bolt in set-up let me know. [Wink]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just so you both know... I just attended the official NASA Race tech workshop and quite a few rules have changed. You might want to check with me to verify what you are doing will be legal, in HPDE or RACE.

It's interesting that only about 10 shops sent techs to the workshop. If you are to be tech station for NASA it is required to go to the Race tech workshop and now there are only 10 shops or so that are able to do legal NASA tech inspections. The roll cages, seats and harnesses are being heavily scrutinized now and they are not taking any of the rule changes lightly.

I can tell you more than 60% of the cars (HPDE and Race) will not pass tech the first event next year.

I have an entire 3" 3 ring binder full of rule changes and I thought I would give you a heads up.

Check the new NASA tech shop list and you will see that not many shops are listed.

The class was a 9 hour event and covered all changes in detail.

FYI

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

What else is new haha. Their always changing something to piss everyone off. This car doesn't run with Nasa so it wasn't a concern to install something to Nasa's spec's.
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have a hard time doing that to a Cobra if it belonged to me.

Good looking bar though [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
mostang
¯
Member # 3352

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostang  Ford pictures for mostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
We just used the plates that came in the kit for the underside. If a person wanted a little more they could take a 1/8" 6X6 steel plate and drill the three holes in it I imagine. If you wanted to go that far with it I'd also cut the top plates off and just weld new ones onto the tubing to match the 6X6 lower plates. Just depends on what you want out of the kit. This bar provides decent roll over protection but it isn't very good for strengthing the cars structure do to it's mounting locations. There is a difference in stiffness in the car but nothing like a car that has a bar tied into the structure of the car instead of the floor pan/wheel wells.

If these are compatible with a 99GT vert, what kind of $$ are we talking?
I don't run under 14.00 yet, but when I do I want to be prepared and I like the feature of being able to take out the rear bar for back seat access.
Does it come with the bar that cross from behind your shoulder and runs across the door or does this set up alone meet requirements for street drags at the local tracks?

--------------------
99 GT ragtop, Flows, True Flow drop in and 3.73's
1985 Caprice Classic Very Tired 305

Posts: 182 | From: Castro Valley, originally Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

They do make a bar for it, not that one imparticular. The harness bar, and diagnol are added options. We picked them up from Livermore Performance. Good guys, very willing to help. Check them out here Livermore Performance

Also if you plan running any open tracks pay the extra, get the DOM tubing. ERW is not legal in some groups. Its like $30 more.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
They do make a bar for it, not that one imparticular. The harness bar, and diagnol are added options. We picked them up from Livermore Performance. Good guys, very willing to help. Check them out here Livermore Performance

Also if you plan running any open tracks pay the extra, get the DOM tubing. ERW is not legal in some groups. Its like $30 more.

I second this. The SMALL amount of extra cahs will save you a lot of money later on down teh road if you have to swap it out.

Eric

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good, how much does something like that cost, I have a friend that might want one in his GT.
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i need one of those asap!

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
I would have a hard time doing that to a Cobra if it belonged to me.

Good looking bar though [patriot]

I feel ya! I think it looks horrible. There is no point in having the backseats if you have those jailbars back there. Do you need that bar to drive on the street? There are so many other suspension parts to add that won't mess up the cars looks. Its an 2003 cobra for god sake, but I guess to each his own! [Roll Eyes]
:
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

[/qb][/QUOTE]I feel ya! I think it looks horrible. There is no point in having the backseats if you have those jailbars back there. Do you need that bar to drive on the street? There are so many other suspension parts to add that won't mess up the cars looks. Its an 2003 cobra for god sake, but I guess to each his own! [Roll Eyes] [/QB][/QUOTE]

The bars are removeable for when he is on the street. The back seat is completely useable. Yes you don't need the bar to drive on the street [Roll Eyes] This car see's about %50 track duty and %50 street duty. One might question placing a bar into an '03 cobra I guess because they feel like it is too cherry of a car. I could understand that....though I think a wiser person would opt for a bar which provides solid mounting points for harnesses and roll over protection when cruising down a road race track at speeds better than 120 mph. Believe me the cars suspension and pretty much everything else has already been upgraded. I think you tend to be more into beauty and show appearance which is fine while others tend to enjoy saftey and function when using the car in a track setting. Since this is a dual purpose car thats what the customer wanted. Not to mention returning the car back to factory by removing the bar can easily be achieved.

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the owner is anything like me he'll quickly get used to having the cross brace in place and will remove the rear seats in favor of a delete kit to offset the weight of the cage.

Personally I think nothing makes a car look more serious then a cage. Even a 4-pt adds some safety and gives you a place to mount some real seat belts.

The panel cuts turned out really well. I remember using wrapping paper tubes to figure out where the bar wanted to pass through the panel. I also remember the fear that comes with the commitment of the hole saw hitting the plastic...

I see their finish hasn't changed though. Black paint that is later wrapped in plastic and tape isn't an optimal choice. I sanded mine and repainted it before it went into the car.

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't let these pics fool ya. I've seen this car up close, it is not ugly by any means. Good work, Mike.

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by RixSikCobra04:
Don't let these pics fool ya. I've seen this car up close, it is not ugly by any means. Good work, Mike.

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com