Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Upgrading the front brakes on a SN95...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Upgrading the front brakes on a SN95...
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was watchin Horse Power TV on TNN, last Sunday...The guys did a front Roush 4-piston caliper with a 14" slotted rotor swap...They were able to stop a 96-98 vert from 60-0 in 97ft!! [Eek!]

I know this kit costs a lot, seeing that the Horse Power TV guys bought Roush 18" wheels to clear the rotors too(must be nice)...Is there any other kits that are better or more cost effective?....Bear, Stop Tech??

Thanx Rob

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NORCAL281
¯
Member # 3754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCAL281  Ford pictures for NORCAL281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can probably do a bullit/cobra brake upgrade! i think they go for around $300+
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, the Cobra PBR calipers are great bang for buck, but I doubt they would get me in the "less than 100ft" from 60-0...Well, atleast not repeatably....

I dunno, when I saw those 4-piston calipers and 14" rotors from Roush, I fell in love... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
R58s would probably clear those too. I have seen a Saleen with 14" rotors and Alcons that fit under R58s. When the Baer started selling Monobloc calipers, he switched to the 6 piston with 13.5" rotors, because the 14" wouldn't fit under the Sterns.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking for a spare set of 14" front rotors for my car. Baer said they can use their 14" discs but need to make custom hats. That drives the price up beyond buying replacements directly from Roush. I'm interested in any other possible sources.

[ February 13, 2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Roush #92 ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going with Baer all the way around when I do mine...eventually I'll let you know what's up with them [Wink]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with the cobra, bullitt conversion all around. After talking to most people who are regularly open tracking its the way to go. Using the bullitt kit, then a set of slotted 99+ style cobra rotors, hawk blue pads for track(hps for daily), stainless steel brake lines all the way around, then these anti flex brackets for the rear calipers to keep them from flexing under extreme braking. So far they seem to be great and well worth the cost of the conversion.
 -

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well heres the set up I am going to be running on my AI car. It's basically a '95 and later cobra front brake calipers with slotted front rotors and hawk blue pads. In the rear a cobra brake conversion with stock rotors and pads. Running this combo on a fox body requires the 36mm rear cobra r wheels and sn95 rear axles. Also a prop valve to equal out the brakes front to rear. The rear doesn't need to be that aggressive since most braking comes from the front. My car will be running in race trim, I'd say 2800-2900 pounds. This brake set up will work well with the reduced weight. If you want all out performance that the Stop Tech's in the front are the way to go. I've seen many people in AI that are extremely fast with the cobra PBR set up in the front. Another note that I like about this brake set up, all parts are off the self cobra units so there will be no down time in replacement like you might see from stop tech or from baer. The down side is mainly the required use of the special offset rear wheels.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got brembo in the front they work great.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
i got brembo in the front they work great.

did you upgrade the mrear in anyway? Or adjust the preasure front to back?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com