Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Steeda's 5 link set up?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Steeda's 5 link set up?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you guys think abotu this over a torque arm set up. Pluses and minuses. I think this is definately going on my car in the future. I don't know why but for some reason I'm highly attracted to Steeda's parts [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's a link to an animated comparison of the different rear end setups. It's got some good info. This is the first non-IRS car I've had in quite a while.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Steeda kind of has a reputation for having great marketing (every 5.O magazine has their add), but they don't have a good reputation in delivering performance. If you want a bang for the buck suspension kit, check out Maximum Motorsports's setup.
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which American Iron division does he run? As far as I have seen, all of the West Coast Mustangs were either MM or Griggs.

the 5 link is a decent set up, it was designed by a Ford engineer. He tried to market it by himself for a few years then sold it to Steeda.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as stated before its almost all marketing
i live a few miles away from MM in SLO and i have talked with them about the steeda five link vs a torque arm

the owner of MM took me out to a bare bones stripped car that was awaiting a torque arm, he showed me how the torque arm works and locates, and how the 5 link works and locates

basically the torque arm is better, there is just a ton less bind, the 5 link just has to many different linkage systems, the torque arm is tuned using spring rates and the 5 link u have to consider axle bind causing a "soft spring" to feel stiffer around corners

if ur friend switches from the torque arm directly to the 5 link, using the same spring rate, he has affectively increase the actual felt spring rate because of added bind in the bushings

if he put the torque arm back on and put a stiffer spring in, it will run laps around 5 link

in a fairness, a properly setup 5 link will outperform a poorly setup torque arm

but with a ood suspension tuner and someone to give expert advice, the torque arm will prevail lap after lap

i have no experience with either, just what i see winning around the country, and steeda isnt winning

MM [worship]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah, i dont know what u have alreayd ordered spring/shock wise

but my friend is selling his koni coil over/ spring setup

its the $1700 koni package from griggs in there magazine add
these are the fronts, the backs are similar
 -
sameless plug [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ordered Steeda Competetiton springs and CC plates with a bumpsteer kit and tons of energy suspension [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
I ordered Steeda Competetiton springs and CC plates with a bumpsteer kit and tons of energy suspension [patriot]

Where are you putting the urethane pieces? Stiffer isn't always better...
Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I got new front sway bar end links, Spring isolators, and a pinion snubber, along with a competetion engineering bumpsteer kit and a G-Trac Bar along with the springs and cc plates [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
My friend's brother runs in the American Iron Extreme Serious and ran the torque arm set-up from MM and ran very well finishing near the top in most races. He then switched to the the Steeda 5 link setup because it had more adjustability. His lap times dropped, and we're not talking a little bit. They dropped a whole 5 seconds!!!

Be carefull with how you pick your combos. Doing what you just did will quickly put you on the fast track to frustration in this hobby. Never base your results on one combo with one driver on one track on one day. The type of people expect to drop 5 seconds with this setup are the same type of people that expect 25 HP from mufflers and 15 HP from a K&N and.... you get the picture.

Look at a lot of setups, on a lot of tracks with a lot of drivers and look for trends and names that pop up over and over at the top of the list.

This form of analysis isn't only for cars, but can be applied to countless things in life if your goal is to get ahead or have the best.

[ December 26, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Pretty much the only goal I have is for my car to handle like I want it to, if the 5-link puts me there, that's what I'll use, if a torque arm puts me there, I'll get that. I might not event have to go that far though. The more I autocross the more I'll know where I want the car to go handling wise [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

tony soprano
¯
Member # 2129

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tony soprano  Ford pictures for tony soprano    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA of CA PERFORMANCE:
basically the torque arm is better, there is just a ton less bind, the 5 link just has to many different linkage systems, the torque arm is tuned using spring rates and the 5 link u have to consider axle bind causing a "soft spring" to feel stiffer around corners

<snip>

i have no experience with either, just what i see winning around the country, and steeda isnt winning MM [worship]

The 5 link has one more link than a TA configuration. I see people talk about bind all the time when they have no way to quantify how much bind is really present. There's a thread on the Corral where someone posted pictures of an installed 5 link. There didn't appear to be much bind in anything less than ridiculous amounts of body roll.

BTW, if you're looking for examples of the 5-link winning, you might want to look at SCCA American Sedan.

Probably can't go wrong with either the MM or Steeda configuration.

Edit for assclownery typo. The 5 link has one additional link compared to a TA/Panhard bar configuration

[ December 30, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: tony soprano ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com