Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » Road racing differentials discussion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Road racing differentials discussion
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just thought I'd open up some more road racing/open tracking discussion!
What is your preferred differential for racing? I've used the TractionLok, Auburn, and GoldTrack, and have driven cars with Torsens.
In my opinion, it's hard to beat the TractionLok for a budget diff, but with aggressive driving, it will have to be rebuilt probably twice a year. The Auburn is more of a street/drag diff and isn't the greatest for going around corners. (And I believe it cannot be rebuilt.)
The DPI GoldTrack that I use now in my '89 notch is a great unit that uses gears instead of clutch packs. If wheelspin occurs, it transfers the power to the wheel that has traction, rather than activating clutches to slow down the spinning wheel. It very much has a 4-wheel steering effect and is a bit eery to drive for the first few corners!
There are a couple downsides (if you could call them that) to the GoldTrack. One is that it isn't meant to be used with c-clips, so you have to convert to 9" bearing ends. This is good, though! The other issue is that it doesn't like drag racing and can burn up quickly with repeated launches. It can be rebuilt, though.
Torsen diffs seem to be gaining popularity in the road racing crowd because of their effectiveness and their ability to be used with c-clips. They work on the same relative principals as the GoldTrack but aren't as strong, though, and I've seen them need rebuilding more frequently.
Anyway, let's discuss this topic!
[burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
griffined
¯
Member # 1330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for griffined  Ford pictures for griffined  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bill,

I've been following a similar discussion over on SVTPerformance. Most of the Cobra R guys are replacing the stock Visteon GeoDisc diff with a Torsen unit when it goes South.

They also say that even though the Torsen runs a little cooler, a rear diff cooler is still needed for the IRS setup.

I'll probably end up going that route as well.
Ed

Posts: 207 | From: Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: May 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Detroit Locker. Not very street friendly, but it does make a cool a$$ ratcheting sound.

Man I miss my '66 coupe. [Frown]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com