Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » How do you guys get started in AutoX/Road racing?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you guys get started in AutoX/Road racing?
1.3_liters
¯
Member # 2143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1.3_liters  Ford pictures for 1.3_liters  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After driving around on Redwood road the other day I got such a rush and really want to try autox and roadracing. For those of you that do this, can you spare a moment and give me some details.

How much does it cost, do you need a license? How often? I've never even seen an event but I want to get into this. thanks.

--------------------
The member formerly known as Displacement_Replacement

Posts: 123 | From: san leandro | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm assuming you're under 25 so you can join the SpeedFreaks program in the SCCA for I believe around $30 a year. You should really try out a street school program around thunderhill. It's 190 for the all day school. People say that its way expensive, but look at it this way. When I go to Sac Raceway I pay $40 and get roughly 6 runs in at 13 and a half seconds each pass so that is 81 seconds in the car racing and at the street school there are 3-4 12 minute sessions on the track alone. Good luck bud and try www.thunderhill.com
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here are a few links for you.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/
http://www.norcal-saac.org/

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

1.3_liters
¯
Member # 2143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1.3_liters  Ford pictures for 1.3_liters  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll check out the links, BTW Im 32.

--------------------
The member formerly known as Displacement_Replacement

Posts: 123 | From: san leandro | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's probably better to do some auto-x before open-track, though I didn't go that route. Looking back however that probably would have been better.

I first did an event with Nor-cal SAAC. Once a year they have a school which is 1/2 day instruction, and the remainder of the weekend open-track, but you could have instructors ride along with you the whole weekend if you want.

I also did 2 street/high-perf schools up at thunderhill. It used to be $175 no too long ago. You get lots of track time so it's well worth it. Plus there is tons of run-off room at Thunderhill, unlike Sears or Laguna.

NASA has HPDE, which I haven't attended, but know several people that have and mostly have heard good things about it.

Nor-cal SAAC also has some auto-x events, pretty low key so first timers should feel pretty comfortable. Held primarily at the Marina Airport, but with the current wierdness there I don't know what's going to happen next year. NASA used to use the airport also. I believe they still have events up at Sears though. I haven't done a SCCA auto-x but heard you don't get many runs so it seemed like a waste of time to go out to one.

Oh yeah, these organizations have different requirements as to safety gear. Be sure to check with each to find out what their requirements are before you go (i.e. some require you to have a fire extinquisher in the car, etc.). The school at Thunderhill seems to be the most lenient.

[ December 05, 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: kpl ]

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure as to how far you're willing to travel but checkout http://www.socalsvtoa.com/ . They're having a event next week!!! I have done a couple of events with these guys, all I can say is I'm hooked!!!
In case you do decide to go I recommend that you bring extra brake fluid and the neccissary tools to bleed your brakes. Spare brake pads help as well as I went through a set of new brakes in one weekend!!!

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

Tri-Bar
¯
Member # 2191

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tri-Bar  Ford pictures for Tri-Bar  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run with the Fresno Chapter of the SCCA. for $25.00 Non-Members,$20.00 Members you can get 5 runs most of the time. And have a blast.We run over at Atwater, Castle Air Force Base.

--------------------
http://68.58.185.21/Tri-BarMotorsports/index.html

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok here is the skinny. If you want to try it just to see how you like it I am going to recommend you go to a SCCA event in Sacramento. I say this for a couple of reasons; #1 they set up there tracks to be bigger for muscle cars. #2 You do not need to be a member of SCCA (unlike the bay area) you just pay an extra $5.00 [Smile] #3 It is not that far away. Have fun any questions hit me up. Peace

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fd3s.  Ford pictures for Fd3s.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Drift-GT:
Ok here is the skinny. If you want to try it just to see how you like it I am going to recommend you go to a SCCA event in Sacramento. I say this for a couple of reasons; #1 they set up there tracks to be bigger for muscle cars. #2 You do not need to be a member of SCCA (unlike the bay area) you just pay an extra $5.00 [Smile] #3 It is not that far away. Have fun any questions hit me up. Peace

Im interested in this, where is it located in sac and how much does it cost?

The fresno thing sounds cool, its just too far.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies. I"m interested

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are done for this season but here is the web site http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/index.html
The location has been changing the past year or so. But they will either use the air force base strip, or cal Expo’s big ass parking lot. Last time I ran there in the RX-7 it was $30.00 and I am not a member (not this year [Big Grin] ) Check there calendar after the first of the year if it is not already updated now. Let me know if you have any other questions.

--------------------
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

darien87
¯
Member # 2022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for darien87  Ford pictures for darien87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One thing I've wondered about open track: Are there any events where you can just run a course on your own? I'd really love to do some open tracking, but my car is my baby and she's my only vehicle. I'd really hate for someone to smash into me.
Posts: 206 | From: South Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you rent a track all for yourself, then that's not very likely. Russell Racing School has high performance street courses which have about 4 or 5 cars in each group, that way you can space yourself out.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the Competition course at Bondurant to get into it. Mega $$$ but I learned a lot. After "graduating" I qualified for an IMSA racing license and a provisional SCCA license. It's not like I did anything with them, but at least it sounds cool [Big Grin]

I think the Thunderhill street school would be the best bet to get into it. Auto-X can be fun but, personally, it doesn't float my boat the way open tracking does.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
CobraKilla
¯
Member # 1449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraKilla  Ford pictures for CobraKilla  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Well thats wrong...You are thinking of American Auto-X...They set the course up for high Hp old Vettes basically. You dont have to be a SCCA member as you said. Check it...

www.americanauto-x.com

-

--------------------
62 Impala- LS2, Six-speed, 9", drop spindles, etc etc...

Posts: 599 | From: Nationwide | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1.3_liters:
After driving around on Redwood road the other day I got such a rush and really want to try autox and roadracing.

Man be careful out on redwood I spun out up there and wasnt pushing it at all when I was coming from the shooting range. Wonder if my big X is still in the road. LOL [burnout]

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

quote:
Originally posted by CobraKilla:
quote:

Well thats wrong...You are thinking of American Auto-X...They set the course up for high Hp old Vettes basically. You dont have to be a SCCA member as you said. Check it...

www.americanauto-x.com

-

Well your wrong [Razz] . Every SCCA event I have been to in Sac is a LOT larger than the ones in the Bay area (and you don't have to be a memeber). I should know I drive a tiny ass car and it give me a lot more room to pitch out the rear end [Smile] . And yes the American Auto-X series is also out ther, as well as CSCC (http://www.csccautox.org/), so there [Razz] .

--------------------
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com