Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » PCV

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: PCV
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any advice on accessing/changing out the pcv valve behind the intake? Its a 93 cobra intake btw. I remember doing it on my 91 with the stock intake, but it seems the cobra intake makes it damn near impossible to access. Id rather not have to take the upper off. Is there a trick to doing this?

Thanks

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stand on a step stool and lean over the fender. You'll be able to see it.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
Stand on a step stool and lean over the fender. You'll be able to see it.

shit i was damn near sprawled across the motor with the back of my head up against the hood insulator above the back of the intake. i guess i need someone with a tiny ass head or something. i'll dive into this task more this weekend

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With a step stool you should see it clearly. Having someone hold your hood open extra tall might help. Anyone know if regular or convertible motor mounts makes a difference?
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

ive attempted (not very hard though, i'll admit) to change the pcv twice, and couldn't then moved on to something else. I am almost thinkin to take the hood off completely to access it better (hopefully). I don't remember it being this hard when I changed my 91 verts pcv valve with the stock upper intake. I have a spacer, maybe that's why its harder. and I think I have vert mounts if that helps

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
ive attempted (not very hard though, i'll admit) to change the pcv twice, and couldn't then moved on to something else. I am almost thinkin to take the hood off completely to access it better (hopefully). I don't remember it being this hard when I changed my 91 verts pcv valve with the stock upper intake. I have a spacer, maybe that's why its harder. and I think I have vert mounts if that helps

Don't take off your hood or you'll find out that aligning a hood is harder than a PCV valve. I don't remember how cobra intakes look from behind but I don't remember it being it in the way of a PCV valve. Are you having trouble because of the hoses back there? Or you can't put your hand in there? I swear it's cake taking mine off my fox I'm running a Trickflow R intake with a spacer too.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

Don't take off your hood or you'll find out that aligning a hood is harder than a PCV valve. I don't remember how cobra intakes look from behind but I don't remember it being it in the way of a PCV valve. Are you having trouble because of the hoses back there? Or you can't put your hand in there? I swear it's cake taking mine off my fox I'm running a Trickflow R intake with a spacer too.
yup, i cant access it with all the shit in the way...and its gotta be way down there with that upper spacer on. i asked my wife if she can get her hand (way smaller) behind the intake, she looked at me crazy. i watched some youtube vids, but they were mostly with the upper off already or it had stock uppers. i didnt do an in depth search though.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

yup, i cant access it with all the shit in the way...and its gotta be way down there with that upper spacer on. i asked my wife if she can get her hand (way smaller) behind the intake, she looked at me crazy. i watched some youtube vids, but they were mostly with the upper off already or it had stock uppers. i didnt do an in depth search though.
Does your car have A/C? That's the only thing I can think of that would make it hard to take it out. I'll pull mine off today just to make sure I ain't blowing smoke but I swear it only takes me like 2 minutes to take off. But if it's really that hard just pull the upper off it only takes a few minutes.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It shouldn't be that difficult. Back center of the intake. I have the Holley with A/C and I can access mine. Find the vacuum hose connected to it and trace it down. It might be a bit tougher with a spacer, I don't know, I don't have one of those either.
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Finally changed em out. After some slices to my hands, im good to go now. Glad thats out the way. Got a good angle, saw pcv valve, jammed my hand down there and got it done. Didnt realize all the parts were so much ($32)...but they were motorcraft parts so thats why i guess.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com