Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Spark Plugs on a New Edge 4.6

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Spark Plugs on a New Edge 4.6
PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why is this such a bitch ...there's no room to get the socket in and when you do the socket is almost impossible to get back out !!! [Confused]

Is there a trick that I don't know about ??

[ 2016-06-02, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: PonyBoy415 ]

--------------------
2013 GT500 Deep Impact Blue # 2878
2013 5.0 with TrackPack - Sold
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3
1989 5.0 LX Convertible - Sold

Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be sure to use a spark plug socket. I also found that jamming a small piece of paper/shop towel in the bottom end of the socket will make the spark plug stick and allow for a safe removal.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm using a spark plug socket and the plug is staying in....it's the lack of clearence between the intake manifold and the hole for the plug...I can't pull out ....literally the socket is stuck now

--------------------
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There pretty Damn easy to do.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
different brands of sockets have different wall thicknesses i remember having issues before. I wrapped the end of the socket tightly with electrical tape to the extension this keeps the socket from seperating and getting stuck in the head. Also try to use a electric grease on the porcelain part of the socket or you will keep having the little rubber grommet that is in the socket come out and stay on the socket
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
different brands of sockets have different wall thicknesses i remember having issues before. I wrapped the end of the socket tightly with electrical tape to the extension this keeps the socket from seperating and getting stuck in the head. Also try to use a electric grease on the porcelain part of the socket or you will keep having the little rubber grommet that is in the socket come out and stay on the socket

This is what I did. Exactly. Did it on my GT, Cobra, and Expedition. Without this method you won't be successful.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if loose use a magnet?

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

So I ended up going to Oreilys. I bought a Magnetic Pick up tool and a new spark plug socket. I used the magnet tool to hold the socket up as far as it would go then I put some channel locks around it and wrestled with it....finally it came out. I used the new spark plug socket to go back in there and install the new plug ....no problem. The new socket which was TradesPro was thinner than my Craftsman socket by a cunt hair....that was all that I needed to go in and out. The plug in question was on the passengers side second from the back under the fuel line which feeds the rail....beware of this spark plug !!!

--------------------
2001 GT Convertible
2012 Focus SE MK3

macuser27
¯
Member # 14389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for macuser27  Ford pictures for macuser27    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you torque them to spec. You don't want a spark plug blow out.

How to prevent spark plug blow out

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com