Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Lights out on 88 cluster...??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lights out on 88 cluster...??
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Getting my car back together and the lights are out on 3/4 of the gauge cluster..I checked all the bulbs before I put the cluster back in and thought they were all good...is there something else on the wiring on the back of the cluster that can be changed...??? I'd change the whole cluster easily if it wasn't a Saleen specific one...

Thanks
Paul

--------------------
1988 Saleen convt #522 SC
1989 Saleen #420 408 w/BOOST!
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Posts: 2264 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Swap a couple good working bulbs to the dead spots. If I good bulb doesn't work then it's probably the printed circuit or poor contacts. Also check any related fuses and the power wire to the cluster lights or however ford designed that circuit

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
naked5.0notch
¯
Member # 14058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for naked5.0notch  Ford pictures for naked5.0notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also take the bulbs out and try to turn them 180 degrees then reinstall. My turn signals weren't lighting up after replacing a bunch of bulbs so did that then they started working.
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys, already tried moving the bulbs a little bit...I think the circuit board could be bad....does anybody know a place that fixes these things....??

--------------------
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There could be a burned trace. If I remember right, the bulb wiring is made of flexible traces on a plastic film. It could have burned through at one point. Use an OHM meter to find the broken spot. Scrap off some of the plastic coating on both sides of the break to expose the raw trace and put conductive glue over it. Let the conductive glue sit in the sun to dry, and then wait 24 hours. It dries slow. You can buy cheap conductive glue in syringes online. Get the syringe type, stay away from the cheaper black gunk conductive glue.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bottle Fed:
Thanks guys, already tried moving the bulbs a little bit...I think the circuit board could be bad....does anybody know a place that fixes these things....??

Speedotach in Concord does.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Thanks Martinna hope I can figure it out...guessing I look for breaks in the circuit board plastic

--------------------
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com