Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Battery drain after rain...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Battery drain after rain...
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So. On my daily driver 2002 Ford Expedition XLT 4.6L, I discovered my battery dead one morning after rain. I have a new alternator and a new battery. I bought the battery after it was dead. So it drove fine for a few weeks until this past weekend after I parked it on my days off and it rained. I find the car dead as a horse again.

I don't know how to check to see what's draining or causing this issue. I know it's after rain though. So I'm assuming water is getting in some where. The floors are not soaking wet but I notice a mild dampness.

Any electrical guru folks that can help me out? Or point me in the right direction?

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the positive battery terminal and put an amp meter in line with it. How many amps does your car draw at idle? It should be less than 0.2A. Remove the hood light to get an accurate reading. Next unplug the power lead to your alternator. Does the amp meter read less? Try taking out some fuses to see if the current draw reading o the amp meter drops. This will help you narrow down the faulty circuit.
saleen428
¯
Member # 7535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleen428  Ford pictures for saleen428    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI the first gen Expeditions are notorious for leaks from the top of the windshield. Water enters the interior and runs down the A piller and down to thw wiring harness junction. Things get corroded and short out quickly. You can test for leak by running wster from edge of roof and watching for water to dripbdown in footwell or run down firewall. Remove the interior grab handle and A piller trim to get a visual on leak.

--------------------
Fords for Life

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on. Will do, thanks for the reply

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com