Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » So any coolant guru?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: So any coolant guru?
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a fox 5.0 and about to get it running pretty soon!

I already bought distilled water and coolant already and I know it has to be 50/50.

So my question is how much many gallons or liters does the total capacity of the whole coolant system hold? I know I have to divide by two.

Mods are Sve radiator, stock water pump, ac delete and to clarify the whole ac system was remove including the heater core inside the dash; the black box.

Any input? Check the internet but no luck.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since you're in California, it is not very important. You can get a tool from the auto parts store to measure the coolant ratio if you want. Your setup probably takes 2.5 gallons. Pour in 1 gallon of coolant and the rest with water. It will be close enough. You can also pre-mix the coolant and distilled water 50/50 in a separate container and pour your 50/50 mix in. This technique insures you'll always have a 50/50 mix.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here in NorCal I usually run 70/30.

So I pour half a gallon distilled water then throw some coolant into that half gallon jug of water and pour that in. Repeat twice and should be your capacity at 70/30.

Coolant provides a poor heat transfer as opposed to water. It mostly for lubricating an lowering the freeze point.

With a 70/30 ratio should put you safe down to 5-10* which around here I have never seen.

Some folks that store their cars in garage may even run 90/10 with water wetter.

[ 2016-04-09, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just buy the Prestone 50/50 mix and not worry about mixing anything? Around here, it shouldn't matter, should it?
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mixing your own coolant in a third container saves you $5 to $10.
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run distilled water & water wetter, and maybe 5% coolant. Car gets stored outside most of the time. As some have already said. We live in Ca. Temps don't get down to low, so I don't worry much. But most people still believe in the 50/50 mix number. If you want a higher % mix. Buy a gallon of pure antifreeze, and mix it with distilled water.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys! Probably right we live in Cali and its about to be summer anyways. I thinking about that 70/30. I earlier went to Walmart and bought already 1 gallon of prestone coolant 50/50 and 4 gallons of distilled water. I may need more water but that all , thanks for the information and input!
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com