Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best method for clutch cable adjustment

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best method for clutch cable adjustment
naked5.0notch
¯
Member # 14058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for naked5.0notch  Ford pictures for naked5.0notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need some advice or tips on clutch cable adjustment. Set up is ford racing alum quadrant, stock cable and center force clutch kit lightly used. This is my first mustang so outside of the manual not sure how adjust correctly. Thanks for any help and its almost ready to be registered
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can't adjust a stock adjustable clutch cable (just tighten it up), if you have a aftermarket firewall quadrant then may be. You can buy a used or new under $100. What the problem is it lose or too tight to engaged the clutch?

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
naked5.0notch
¯
Member # 14058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for naked5.0notch  Ford pictures for naked5.0notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Makes sense. Stock cable and alum ford racing quadrant. Its my first mustang along with first time dealing with cable clutch.

After the first test drive I couldn't get it into first and reverse well was difficult so my assumption is its way too loose and need to tighten up just like the pressure plate isn't moving far enough to allow for gear changes. i noticed after looking a few photos i have the lock nut and adjuster incorrectly installed so need to fix that.

Just wondering how tight it should be at the clutch fork

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by naked5.0notch:
Makes sense. Stock cable and alum ford racing quadrant. Its my first mustang along with first time dealing with cable clutch.

After the first test drive I couldn't get it into first and reverse well was difficult so my assumption is its way too loose and need to tighten up just like the pressure plate isn't moving far enough to allow for gear changes. i noticed after looking a few photos i have the lock nut and adjuster incorrectly installed so need to fix that.

Just wondering how tight it should be at the clutch fork

To, clarify you can get a adjustable clutch cable and fire wall adjustable for under 100 dollars new.
So you have the ford racing quadrant in your clutch pedal assembley right?
Back to your question it should be tight, you just need to tighten and check by engaging the clutch through the gears while driving of course. Do you have a short shifter also because if you do that also needs to be adjust.
Check if your cable is loose from the firewall because it may be the the fire wall quadrant.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pickup a Quadrant with 3 set points on it.

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
naked5.0notch
¯
Member # 14058

I have installed a hurst short throw shifter with the stops adjusted already. It's tight at the firewall and yes currently installed is the alum ford racing quadrant.

Is it better to just go with an adjustable cable with this quadrant ?

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some say the adjustable cables are garbage. From my experience, go with the stock cable, firewall adjuster, and like stated above a 2 or 3 point quadrant. That should be good and tight after.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put the T5 into two forward gears before putting it in reverse. If it still grinds when you do this, you need more tension on the cable. Only get Ford cables. Summit is a good source.
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The throw-out bearing should NOT ride against the pressure plate !!
You will hear/feel the bearing start to fall apart in a matter of months (possibly weeks).

You don't want to "tension" the cable, there HAS TO BE some play so the bearing isn't riding against the pressure plate causing premature failure.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

naked5.0notch
¯
Member # 14058

Great info and got it adjusted correctly

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com