Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cam suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cam suggestions
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm doing heads and intake on my 86 coupe. Picked up a set of p heads they are already at the machine shop. Gt40 intake will top it off. As of now I know I have Harland sharp shaft mount rockers and POSSIBLY an unknown cam. If I go with a larger cam (after verifying non flat top pistons) what am I limited to on lift and duration with 1.6 rockers and is there a large enough choice of upgraded springs for gt40 heads to support such a cam

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's no one lift number you can throw out there that's a hard-fast number that if you go below it, you're 100% safe or go above it and you're 100% going to do some damage. It all depends on what the timing events are of the cam. Some cams can get away with more lift because they open later or close sooner than others.

With GTP heads, I'd stick with either a Ford alphabet cam or maybe a TFS1 cam. They're known to work and work pretty well. That's not a high flowing combo, so you don't need a crazy cam. Match the springs to the cam.

[ 2016-03-20, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
There's no one lift number you can throw out there that's a hard-fast number that if you go below it, you're 100% safe or go above it and you're 100% going to do some damage. It all depends on what the timing events are of the cam. Some cams can get away with more lift because they open later or close sooner than others.

With GTP heads, I'd stick with either a Ford alphabet cam or maybe a TFS1 cam. They're known to work and work pretty well. That's not a high flowing combo, so you don't need a crazy cam. Match the springs to the cam.

So I verified dished pistons and I been looking up what works with the heads I have. Any experience with an Anderson cam with my combo?

--------------------
King Lx

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get another short block if it's not flycut and has forged stock Pistons . Don't even waste your time.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Get another short block if it's not flycut and has forged stock Pistons . Don't even waste your time.

It has the relieved pistons. Now in just waiting on a call from the machine shop tomorrow. Will they know about the decreased height of the exhaust valve? I did some reading and I would like to go with new valves and springs good for .600 lift. Once I do that I will really have to choose a cam

--------------------
King Lx

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GT40Ps are not worth spending extra money on big upgrades. Get the cheap TFS valve spring kit and a TFS1 or E or B cam. If you want more, put that money towards TFS or AFR heads that give you good valves and springs from the factory.

[ 2016-03-21, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Martinna ]

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by Martinna:
GT40Ps are not worth spending extra money on big upgrades. Get the cheap TFS valve spring kit and a TFS1 or E or B cam. If you want more, put that money towards TFS or AFR heads that give you good valves and springs from the factory.

I bought these heads for 60 bucks and I'm getting rid of the car just want a decent set up while I still own it

--------------------
King Lx

93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with p heads and stock pistions i wouldnt try for anything more than a tfs1,e or b. Buy one of those cams then go get some play dough and do a piston to valve clearance check. if its too close you can use fel pro head spacer shims.

--------------------
93GT 306 H/C/I supercharged
06 Cummins 6spd
90 GT 5sdp daily driver HCI
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're just going to punt it, don't spend a lot of money on it. First thing I'd do is remove those Harland Sharp rocker arms and keep them for something else or sell them. They're worth probably more than the entire engine (sorry). I'd buy a used set of Scorpion 1.6's off of Corral or here for $150 and a used E or B cam. Buy the drop in springs from Alex Parts and call it a day. All-in you'd be about $400 out of pocket and have a decent motor.

[ 2016-03-21, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
If you're just going to punt it, don't spend a lot of money on it. First thing I'd do is remove those Harland Sharp rocker arms and keep them for something else or sell them. They're worth probably more than the entire engine (sorry). I'd buy a used set of Scorpion 1.6's off of Corral or here for $150 and a used E or B cam. Buy the drop in springs from Alex Parts and call it a day. All-in you'd be about $400 out of pocket and have a decent motor.

Sounds reasonable. I may skip the rocker swap only because I'm moving on to a truck and I'll still have my 85 to play with. The notch is just a tiring project. Anyways I think I'll grab a tfs1 cam (seen one floating around brand new on here for cheap) measure and go for gold. Car will be worth millions in Oakland so who cares lol

--------------------
King Lx

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com