Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » EEC-IV tuners in the bay area?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: EEC-IV tuners in the bay area?
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any recommendations? east bay ideally...

[ 2016-03-15, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: 67stang ]

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ever consider going the Quarter Horse route? Even if you go with someone else to tune your car, have them tune a Quarter Horse. Parameter logging is mandatory for part throttle tuning. Only the QH provides this feature.
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is quarter horse...links?
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get an SCT chip and take it to a local tuner. You don't need a QH. If you need a recommendation or advice PM me and we'll talk.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why use SCT? For $250 the Moates QH is far superior http://moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html with a copy of Binary Editor from www.eecanalyzer.net it's the best tuning option for EEC-V and EEC-IV Ford cars. For part throttle tuning, you need to be able to read the KAMRF adaptive values the EEC has learned to see if your part throttle fuel trim is set right. SCT chips are old school and only good for WOT tuning on the dyno. The QH also lets you log in real time as you're driving around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDi6PAvmjcY
The Moates revolution happened years ago. Guess some missed it.

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not hard to tune with SCT. Just gotta know what you're doing.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martinna  Ford pictures for Martinna        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but you'll never know if your adaptive KARMF fuel trims are right or not with out the logging and reading the EEC capability Moates Quarter Horse provides. SCT is perfect for wide open throttle tuning, but for idle and part throttle tuning, you can only guess and check tune. Moates Quarter Horse is the only solution and for about the same price. This is why people started switching over to the QH in droves for at least the past half decade.
67stang
¯
Member # 549

Here's the thing... I had Tweecer for a while, when the car had a blower, and I just don't have the patience for it. I looked into Quarter Horse, and it's cool, but it requires the same level of patience to learn the 'programming'... I don't have time or desire to site on the side of the road with a laptop connected to my EEC-IV trying to figure shit out. Those days are behind me, lol.

My car runs pretty fricken' good right now, but I would like a decent idle, not so rich... if someone can burn that on a chip and I'm done, you got a customer.

Martinna
¯
Member # 12493

That's the problem. You can't just get a chip and call it done with the EEC. In the old days a SCT or Tweecer tuner would guess and check and hope to get lucky. With enough experience they could guess more accurately and get lucky more often. This worked so so for some people, but the majority didn't get completely lucky. With the Moates QH, you guess, drive around for a bit, then read the EEC to see if the adaptive tables look okay or if your trim is off and need adjusting. Then you re-tune. It has to be an iterative process, not a one time shot. What ever tuner you go with, just make sure they tune with this modern technique the Moates QH provides.

Needing minor EEC MAF curve trim at idle, especially with a cam and headers is very common and very easy to do.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com