Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rear upper and lower control Arms on a fox

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rear upper and lower control Arms on a fox
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have some urp upper and lower control arm on my fox and can't seem to get them set right and a shop wants way to much can anyone tell me what to set them from center to center on the holes so I have a idea on it
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
measure the stock uppers/lowers center to center {mounting holes} and adjust new ones to that and the uppers I would adjust with the suspension pre loaded after the initial same as stock adjustment to achieve the drive line angle you are after
(0========0)
.^here to here ^
center to center

[ 2016-01-23, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: JZTRK ]

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 5.0  Ford pictures for 93 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did that but it stick out to the right side a lot and rubs on the left side inter tire
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you check to see if your tq boxes are twisted, or that the spot welds broken?

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like the car at one point came in contact with a curb or spun out hard on the left side to tweek your torque boxes and or the rear end mounts
Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your torque boxes are not damaged, adjustable upper control arms can get the rear end centered up.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

T-B are good and I've never hit a curb or been hit sine I've had it for 7 years now
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is what I would do but it requires a bit of work. Assuming these are heim joint bearing arms, I would measure the center to center distance of the factory lowers and set the new lowers to that length. Support the nose of the differential housing with a floor jack. Not lifting, just light support. Remove the upper control arm bolts at the body connection. Tape a string with a nut on the end for weight at the center of each wheel well opening (hanging down) so you can take a measurement from the string to the axle hub. Push the housing over in which ever direction is needed to center the axle between the strings. Once it's centered, adjust the upper arms so each side fits. That gets you to a rough adjustment point. Now comes the work part. You need to fine tune adjust all 4 arms so that the wheel is centered in the wheel well opening but also get the correct pinion angle you want. This takes a lot of back and forth with the arm adjustment because each arms adjustment effects the overall position of the axle housing and pinion angle.

Or spend the money and have someone else do it for you.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Google some videos of people squaring up their rear end, on their mustangs. Or just pay someone to do it. You should of measured the stock arms, and started with those measurements, on the new arms. If that isn't close enough. Follow John's instructions.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the tips I am swapping out my control arms as well.. [patriot]
93 5.0
¯
Member # 12418

I know the stock arm are 9-1/4 from center to center and yes the are the h-j kind and when I set them to stock is when it kicks it out to the pass side

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com