Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1994 mustang clutch feels hard

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1994 mustang clutch feels hard
sidhu50
¯
Member # 13602

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidhu50  Ford pictures for sidhu50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just replaced a new ram clutch, new flywheel, pressure plate, adjustable clutch cable and quadrant, I have adjusted the cable and it drives fine for bit but after while clutch pedal feels really hard and it's really hard to put the car into Gear. Car is completely stock. When I replaced the clutch I noticed the clutch fork tensioner where the throw out bearing sits one side was chipped off..will that cause a clutch to shift hard? My next option would be to drop the tranny down and put new fork in..if anyone can help me with this it would be really appreciated..it's a hassle dropping the transmission..
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you route the cable correctly, i changed my cable once and didnt route it correctly and i had the same issue

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the cable could be binding. Does it make any unusual sounds you have never heard before?

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
SC363SN
¯
Member # 13850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SC363SN  Ford pictures for SC363SN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That happend alot to me in my cobra, would warm up and shifting became very tough. Couple months later my synchros went out and had to buy a new trans. Not saying it is the trans but, that's from my experience
Posts: 489 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2014  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like stated above either the cable is not installed properly or you could be experiencing your syncros going out
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
sidhu50
¯
Member # 13602

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sidhu50  Ford pictures for sidhu50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes cable is routed correctly, I have stedda adjustable cable with quadrant, it came with the firewall adjuster but I didn't put that on..would clutch fork bearing retainer clip chipped from one side can cause this to happen? Any help would be appreciated..transmission shifts fine, this car has never been driven hard untill the clutch went out,
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You said the clutch fork retainer is broken on one side? That fork is responsible for pulling the throw out bearing & assembly apart. I would start there, you can change that without pulling the trans out I believe.
Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Egocentric:
You said the clutch fork retainer is broken on one side? That fork is responsible for pulling the throw out bearing & assembly apart. I would start there, you can change that without pulling the trans out I believe.

Negative, the input shaft goes through the fork and TOB.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

sidhu50
¯
Member # 13602

So my best option would be to change out the clutch fork? I want to gather as much information before I pull the tranny out..this has been really annoying for me not being able to drive the car but I'm lucky to have my foxbody running till then..but I want to get this car on the road before I sale it..if anybody want to think bout buying the car it's not much work needed to get the car running..

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com