Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6L intake gasket question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.6L intake gasket question
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was changing the plugs and wires this afternoon and found some coolant on top of the intake and down the #6 spark plug cylinder. I have never worked on these and curious what is going to be needed? Is it like the pushrod motors?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replace the intake manifold there Crack alot. An there very easy to do.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the manifold most likely isnt cracked. the only thing that usually happens on 4.6 is the gaskets wear out for the intake manifold or the rear heater hose plastic spot on the intake breaks.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
the manifold most likely isnt cracked. the only thing that usually happens on 4.6 is the gaskets wear out for the intake manifold or the rear heater hose plastic spot on the intake breaks.

I guess ford never had a recall for the intake cracking and leaking
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it the upper or lower that is known to crack?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:

There is no lower or upper like a push rod engine. The plastic gets brittle and breaks.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

There is no lower or upper like a push rod engine. The plastic gets brittle and breaks.
Gotcha. Alright then, looks like I need to purchase one. Is the Dorman one any good or no?

[ 2015-10-17, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Blue92 ]

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford did recall 4.6 liter intakes , 96-99 I think. The front portion of the intake was plastic so ford recalled and replaced front part of intake with aluminum I believe.
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gotcha. Alright then, looks like I need to purchase one. Is the Dorman one any good or no?
Ford racing only forgot the difference was between them.

[ 2015-10-17, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: 70stang351w ]

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by rollininmy50:
Ford did recall 4.6 liter intakes , 96-99 I think. The front portion of the intake was plastic so ford recalled and replaced front part of intake with aluminum I believe.

Just the cross over where the alt is aluminum an they still leak.
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I guess ford never had a recall for the intake cracking and leaking
My brothers intake cracked. It is a pain taking them off a 1/4 of a turn at a time!!

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive worked on over 200 4.6 cars and mustangs. There is a possibility it is cracked but the majority is the gasket.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Ive worked on over 200 4.6 cars and mustangs. There is a possibility it is cracked but the majority is the gasket.

An I worked for ford for years so what's your point.

[ 2015-10-18, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: hurting your feelings ]

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's a link to the difference between them.

cant post it due to parenthese in the title???Mods really?

google pi vs dorman theres one on sn95forums which compares them. dorman is alot smaller in the runners and over all cheaper made intake

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Well, I am thinking just to purchase the intake along with all the gaskets. That way, when I am in there I have everything to fix the issue. I guess I should be purchasing a Ford intake over the Dorman. Thanks guys.
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

I would go with a ford one over after market one.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
I would go with a ford one over after market one.

I would assume buying a used one would be a dumb move? Reason I ask, I plan to sell the car and really don't want to invest much into this considering the market is already really low with these cars.
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

used ones usually fail. seen it many times.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com