Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Head bolt torque sequence and specifications

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Head bolt torque sequence and specifications
DIBCOYOTE
¯
Member # 13870

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIBCOYOTE  Ford pictures for DIBCOYOTE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know the torque specs and tightening sequence for a 2001 gt?

--------------------
-2003 mustang gt-SOLD
-2014 5.0 :D

Posts: 105 | From: Sacramento ca | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step 1: torque to 30 ft/lbs
Step 2: tighten 90 degrees
Step 3: loosen 1 complete turn
Step 4: torque to 30 ft/lbs again
Step 5: tighten 90 degrees
Step 6: tighten another 90 degrees

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
DIBCOYOTE
¯
Member # 13870

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIBCOYOTE  Ford pictures for DIBCOYOTE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

Thank you very much sir!!! And is there a trick to putting the head bolts in while the motor is still in the car or am I going to have to pull the motor?

--------------------
-2003 mustang gt-SOLD

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1slickgt:
quote:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

Thank you very much sir!!! And is there a trick to putting the head bolts in while the motor is still in the car or am I going to have to pull the motor?
No need to pull out the motor. That's what head dowels are for to keep the heads in place while you put in the bolts.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
DIBCOYOTE
¯
Member # 13870

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
quote:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

No need to pull out the motor. That's what head dowels are for to keep the heads in place while you put in the bolts.
Thank you! It was kinda difficult removing the bottom 3 bolts on the passenger side head because the bolts kept hitting the strut tower so it took me awhile. I figured it would be even worse getting the bolts back in but I was able to get it done! Thank you both!

--------------------
-2003 mustang gt-SOLD

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

Have you every done heads on a mod motor?

An to answer your question take a glove and wrap around the bolts about half an install the head with the bolts in the head for the hard to get ones.

Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
DIBCOYOTE
¯
Member # 13870

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

An to answer your question take a glove and wrap around the bolts about half an install the head with the bolts in the head for the hard to get ones.

It's the first time with the motor still in the car and on my own so yes, I did that same concept but I got some of the bolts from the valve covers and threaded them into their spots a bit then tied some twine from the head bolt to the valve cover bolts to hold them in place then i just cut the twine once i got the head positioned

[ 2015-10-01, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: 1slickgt ]

--------------------
-2003 mustang gt-SOLD

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tightening sequence is:
7 3 1 5 9
10 6 2 4 8

Nope never have, didn't realize he said for 2001 GT on his original post. And from what I understood from his question was how to keep the heads from moving so he can put in the bolts but now since I know it's a mod motor I can see why he asked about the bolts since the engine in wide.
Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i put the bolts flush the three that go down on shock tower then use rubber bands to hold tension on them. then remove rubber bands once head is set in place. then bolts will drop down.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacStangDriver:
i put the bolts flush the three that go down on shock tower then use rubber bands to hold tension on them. then remove rubber bands once head is set in place. then bolts will drop down.

I just use my old rubber gloves lot easier then finding rubber bands.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com