Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 01 cobra will not start after getting it out of storage

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 01 cobra will not start after getting it out of storage
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra4v  Ford pictures for cobra4v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hope you guys can help me. I stored my 01 cobra for two years with the battery disconnect it . Hooked up the battery and try to start it but won't start. Battery is good it cranks but won't start. The theft light keeps blinking never noticed that before could it be the pats?

[ 2015-09-22, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: cobra4v ]

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your fuel pump priming?
Also check for spark. I think the theft light does that till it starts too

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blinking theft light is normal. solid theft light is bad.

Did you possibly trip the fuel cutoff switch?

Check that and then key on and off a few times and check for pressure at the fuel rail.

Also you can try spraying some starting fluid into the intake to help rule out an ignition problem (if it starts with starter fluid then your problem is fuel related).

Good luck!

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra4v  Ford pictures for cobra4v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys I will try thoses tips. If it is the pats what does it disable the fuel or the ignition?
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobra4v:
Thanks guys I will try thoses tips. If it is the pats what does it disable the fuel or the ignition?

Pats will kill the starter and the fuel injectors

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

I will try all those tips this weekend. Thanks
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check fuses my 97 cobra would crank but wouldn't start and noticed my fuel pump not priming and checked the fuses and noticed one blew popped one in and started right up
Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same thing with mine. Fuel pump... Check the fuse first. Either put a fuel pressure gauge on it, or try to quickly prime it with the hose off.

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

Try all those tips there is no fuel coming out of the fuel rail fuses are good it looks like the fuel pump. had it towed to a garage and the tech said the car has been sitting too long. Gasoline becomes varnish and it may have seized the fuel pump hope he is right. Thanks for all the help

[ 2015-09-29, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: cobra4v ]

alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let us know if it was just the fuel pump after all. Very interested in this as I had my 96 cobra in storage for 2 years as well and will try to restart it by the end of the month.

You did had to recharge the battery 1st though, right? Surely after 2 years, even disconnected, it would be flat, wouldn't it?

Posts: 119 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  :
cobra4v
¯
Member # 4889

New battery was installed it was the fuel pump

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com