Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ignition switch module

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ignition switch module
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsy88  Ford pictures for gypsy88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 88 was acting realy wierd lately. I was pulling it into the garage and it kept dieing. Then some sparks shot off and a bad burnt smell came. Realized the wires to the ignition contol module were hanging and it was in a couple pieces. Bought a new one today and installed it and the car wont start did the computer get fried?? Or what do i need to check?
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sparks from where?

Check your fusable links in the engine bay. also check all fuses in the fuse box. if you saw sparks then you had a short somewhere.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsy88  Ford pictures for gypsy88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sparks were from the ignition switch. Pulled the computer relay out and ohlmed it out and its o.l across all of them. Bought a new relay but it has an extra pin. Old one on the left new on the right.
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Dont know how to post a pic but the new relay has an extra pin on it
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Fusible link for the ignition switch was bad

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com