Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil pressure, battery and engine light ON 2002 Focus SVT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oil pressure, battery and engine light ON 2002 Focus SVT
RSA-Mustang
¯
Member # 11540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSA-Mustang  Ford pictures for RSA-Mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Background story. Car has been sitting since Thursday after I left to go out of town. Low fuel light had been on for about 3 miles before I parked it. 5 days later I drove another 4 miles with fuel light still on early this morning to go and get gas and no issues. An hour later driving today around 60 mph I noticed the car seem to lose power and ALMOST die but then pick up power again. The oil pressure, battery and engine light came on briefly and then turned off and I simply kept driving.

4 miles down the street coming to a red light, the car Completely DIES and all three lights are on again! Car kept rolling and I quickly turned ignition off and then on and to start the car with no more issues. Drove it home and its been parked since. Only other thing I would say I noticed was that when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd I hear a small clicking noise. Similar to the clicking sound of a pen. Car has 142K miles and I understand some odd sounds can be from the age of the car and being daily driven.

Could it possibly be an alternator issue? Did some research and thats what one forum posting indicated. Also could possibly be fuel pump since if gas was low and could have affected fuel pump

Just not sure what it is and would like some ideas before I take it to a mechanic for repairs and end up paying for something I don't need to pay for.

Thanks CaFords

Posts: 332 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Dec 2011  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the check engine light is on, check it for codes first

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my brothers 05 ranger did this when his alternator was going bad

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:
my brothers 05 ranger did this when his alternator was going bad

i would also be looking into your alternator. Probably causing a bunch of issues if its dieing. Maybe the voltage regulator is bad on it and causing spikes or dips.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com