Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.4 Swap which tranny

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.4 Swap which tranny
Brock_Samson
¯
Member # 12359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock_Samson  Ford pictures for Brock_Samson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Time has come finally to do my 5.4 swap, and i dont think my tired 4r70w is up to the task.

Is there another trans you would recommend to hold up for daily driving, and to beat on once and a while?

Swap details are handled just looking for trans advice. Yes it has the 4.6 PI heads going onto it.

I work for a LARGE auto dismantler so if something will swap in from another vehicle that would be a good start.

notes:
- This is a Crown Vic aka land yacht...
- I have a 3600 Stall converter from Edge racing, not sure if it will work since i understand the 5.4 comes in at around 2400??
- 3.73 gears
- willing to go with a floor shifter setup as it already has a marauder interior (w floor shifter)
- i work for a nationwide auto dismantler. (cheaper parts)

[ 2015-08-05, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Brock_Samson ]

--------------------
I Powder coat shyt..
http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=057635

Posts: 138 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :
SSP NOTCH
¯
Member # 13449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSP NOTCH  Ford pictures for SSP NOTCH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Being a Vic owner myself, id stay with the 4r70w. Its a decent transmission and a fresh one will hold up just fine behind a 5.4.
Brock_Samson
¯
Member # 12359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brock_Samson  Ford pictures for Brock_Samson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The more and more I research it (in the last 20min) I think your right.

--------------------
I Powder coat shyt..

Brock_Samson
¯
Member # 12359

another question why would the Mustang 4r70w be different than the crown vic??

--------------------
I Powder coat shyt..

SSP NOTCH
¯
Member # 13449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSP NOTCH  Ford pictures for SSP NOTCH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure they are.... unless they have a different tail housing because the vic is a longer car....
Brock_Samson
¯
Member # 12359

Yeah i am doing some research, and though i cant find a solid answer either way, it seems that in order to fit I would have to swap out my aluminum drive shaft for a civilian steel one. because they are longer and will make up the 1 inch difference due to the mustangs shorter tail shaft housing?

is there some sort of tail shaft adapter? for mustang to crown vic PI?

--------------------
I Powder coat shyt..

SSP NOTCH
¯
Member # 13449

quote:
Originally posted by Brock_Samson:
Yeah i am doing some research, and though i cant find a solid answer either way, it seems that in order to fit I would have to swap out my aluminum drive shaft for a civilian steel one. because they are longer and will make up the 1 inch difference due to the mustangs shorter tail shaft housing?

is there some sort of tail shaft adapter? for mustang to crown vic PI?

Adtr.net sells crown vic performance parts and the spacer you're looking for. I suggest you consider rebuilding your vic's tranny if you still have it. The amount of money and effort you're putting in
To fitting the mustang tranny you could have the vic tranny rebuilt. If you dont have the vic tranny, go to a junk yard and get one from as close of year you can find to your year vic and have that one rebuilt.

Brock_Samson
¯
Member # 12359

Well ADTR says the drive shaft spacer should do the trick in allowing me to use a Mustang 4r70w in the CVPI. well i still need to measure but theoretically.

so that means i can open my options up to a lot more at my work. thanks for taking me back to ADTR i had kind of forgotten about that site.

--------------------
I Powder coat shyt..

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com