Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » No start issue

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: No start issue
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I swapped out my old chopped engine harness for a very nice 86 harness in My 85, got the car running and then after a few days she just died and doesnt want to start. Cranks strong bit no spark. Ive changed the distributor with a new one, new coil, cap, rotor, wires no plugs though. Ive checked all fuses, fusable links wires and all and still no change. I changed the stout connector and even went through 4 coils. Im stumped as hell. Never had an issue like this before and have done a lot of research. The coil gets 12v at both red and green wires with the ignition on. Ive changed two relays that seemed like they were bad when i put power to them. Im starting to think its the computer but even then i cracked it open and i dont see anything burnt or out of place. HELP!!!!!

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you did the harness swap what brain are you using? 86 non mass air? All grounds are good?
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All grounds are good. I used an 86 harness and computer. And it ran fine till like a few days after. Ive changed everything except the ecm so im assuming its that. Ive swapped three distributors, 4 coils, two good relays, checked grounds, changed cap and rotor, changed one burnt fuse and still no spark. Im getting fuel but no spark out of the coil tower. All wires are good. I made sure it was a nice harness and did repair to two spots. It was only the head lights that i repaired though.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Crazy question , but is your car an auto or five speed? Just making sure you are not running a five speed brain in an auto. If your up in Sacramento and cannot find a new non mass air brain for 86, 87, some non Cali cars in 88 had no mass air, but I have a five speed non mass air brain if you are up in this area for 20 bucks. But it sounds like the brain is malfunctioning.
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

I changed the computer and still didnt get anything. The funny thing is i ran through 3 distributors and the all didnt work. Put in a brand new one and work still! Then i took a used TFI and swapped it out. Fired right up lol. Stupid ass car gives me problem after problem.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com