Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tranny swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny swap
Sesar5.0
¯
Member # 8553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sesar5.0  Ford pictures for Sesar5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 1973 f100 with a 4 speed manual and I wanna swap it out to a 5 or 6 speed. So my question is what are my options for trannys?

--------------------
1990 lx 5.0
PS4 ID Sesar5_0

Posts: 864 | From: Cotija Michoacan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on your budget.. cheapest option is t5 swap..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
Sesar5.0
¯
Member # 8553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sesar5.0  Ford pictures for Sesar5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So the T5 will hold up just fine? The truck has a 360

--------------------
1990 lx 5.0
PS4 ID Sesar5_0

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
0o shit didnt realize u had a 360.. yes a t5 should be fine still as long as the motor is fairly stock but it wont be a very big improvement compared to the 4 speed besides that extra gear.. You will need an aftermarket bellhousing and matching clutch armwith most 5 speed & 6 speed transmissions, and if you're going to spend the money on aftermarket bellhousing and stuff then i would just look into a tko.. but once again, it all just depends on the budget.. i think theres a company that also makes parts to swap a t56 into there.. ive been doing research on the same topic for my dads f100..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

One thing to keep in mind is fitment in the tunnel and shifter location.. you might need to take a hammer to the tunnel and move the shifter hole down a couple inches.. specially if you decide to go with a t56 or 3350/tko..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Sesar5.0
¯
Member # 8553

Ok thanks for the info. Pm if you find the website for the t56 swap

--------------------
1990 lx 5.0
PS4 ID Sesar5_0

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Dont remember the exact company but it was on Jegs.. they have all the stuff for swapping a tko, t5, t56, 3550, etc..

[ 2015-05-21, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think a T5 from a Mustang will work. The shifter sits at the end of the tailshaft and will put the shifter under the seat. Your truck probably has a NP435 or T18 4 speed with the shifter in the middle of the case body. You probably want to look for an M5R2 out of an 80's-90's F150/Bronco. Or a T5 out of an S10 would probably work, but you'd either have to swap the input shaft to a 10 spline or change your clutch to a 26 spline.

Here's an M5R2
 -

Chevy S10 T5
 -

EDIT: Shit, you have an FE motor. Forget the M5R2.

[ 2015-05-21, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
I don't think a T5 from a Mustang will work. The shifter sits at the end of the tailshaft and will put the shifter under the seat. Your truck probably has a NP435 or T18 4 speed with the shifter in the middle of the case body. You probably want to look for an M5R2 out of an 80's-90's F150/Bronco. Or a T5 out of an S10 would probably work, but you'd either have to swap the input shaft to a 10 spline or change your clutch to a 26 spline.

Here's an M5R2
 -

Chevy S10 T5
 -

Hes right.. thats what i meant by the shifter location but didnt get specific because i figured you did your research on that.. even the t56 has to be one from a chevy ls1 or viper..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:

Here's an M5R2
 -

Chevy S10 T5
 -

Hes right.. thats what i meant by the shifter location but didnt get specific because i figured you did your research on that.. even the t56 has to be one from a chevy ls1 or viper..
Good to know. I didn't know you could relocate the shifter in a T56.

-

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Sesar5.0
¯
Member # 8553

Cool stuff guys thanks for all the advice

--------------------
1990 lx 5.0
PS4 ID Sesar5_0

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com