Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Automatic 4cyl a4ld won't go into gear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Automatic 4cyl a4ld won't go into gear
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordfiveoh  Ford pictures for fordfiveoh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bought an all stock 87 4cyl automatic coupe and the tranny won't go into gear.

The car starts up and there's no rattling or any sounds from the trans. The shifter works and goes to all gears just doesn't move.

When choosing a gear the rpms raise slightly. I tried revving and holding the rpms at 2k and still nothing.

I doubt it's an internal problem but just wanna know what you guys think or what would be the next best thing to look for. Yes it's got fluid and the driveshaft is attached lol.

Posts: 180 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the shift cable attached to the trans??

--------------------
91' Notch

99Mamba
¯
Member # 7506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Mamba  Ford pictures for 99Mamba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there oil in the transmission?
Posts: 660 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordfiveoh  Ford pictures for fordfiveoh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The shift cable is attached to transmission and there is fluid in it too, just won't move forward or reverse.
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the condition of the fluid like? color? Burnt odor? Check the fluid cold with the car off and take note of the fluid level on the stick. Then start and recheck. If it stays the same then the pump or converter hub are probably broke. If the level goes down like it should I'd drop the pan and see if any parts are sitting in it. Also to make sure the manual valve link didn't break.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

quote:
Originally posted by 707iiii:
What's the condition of the fluid like? color? Burnt odor? Check the fluid cold with the car off and take note of the fluid level on the stick. Then start and recheck. If it stays the same then the pump or converter hub are probably broke. If the level goes down like it should I'd drop the pan and see if any parts are sitting in it. Also to make sure the manual valve link didn't break.

The fluid seems to be fine, it's a nice color red, smells normal, goes down when hot, etc. I'm assuming it's the solenoid in the trans. Any last ideas to check before I drain the fluid and check the solenoid?
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The solenoids just control overdrive and lockup They won't cause a no movement situation. Possible broken input shaft or input splines stripped out of the overdrive planet or converter. I'd drop the pan and see how it looks.
Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

quote:
The solenoids just control overdrive and lockup They won't cause a no movement situation. Possible broken input shaft or input splines stripped out of the overdrive planet or converter. I'd drop the pan and see how it looks.

Yeah I'll be pulling he transmission this weekend and I'll get back to you on what I find, thanks!
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

quote:

Yeah I'll be pulling he transmission this weekend and I'll get back to you on what I find, thanks!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com