Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Maximum motor sports Manual brake conversion kit

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Maximum motor sports Manual brake conversion kit
Notchaholic
¯
Member # 13405

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notchaholic  Ford pictures for Notchaholic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone converted to manual brakes and used this kit before? I currently have manual brakes with the stock brake pedal and was wondering if this really helps.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Manual-Brake-Conversion-Kit-1979-93-P677.aspx

--------------------
87 notch
93 coyote swapped notch

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have one in my road race car. I like it. The adjustable pad on the brake arm is nice. You can put it right where it fits best for you. I did not have a stock manual peddle to start with so I couldn't tell you the difference. If you have a power peddle now you will like kit.

[ 2015-04-22, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Notchaholic
¯
Member # 13405

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notchaholic  Ford pictures for Notchaholic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
I have one in my road race car. I like it. The adjustable pad on the brake arm is nice. You can put it right where it fits best for you. I did not have a stock manual peddle to start with so I couldn't tell you the difference. If you have a power peddle now you will like kit.

Appreciate the feedback either way, thanks!

--------------------
87 notch
93 coyote swapped notch

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have used the kit for several years on a street car. Other than increased pedal effort in comparison to the boosted setup(duh), I think it is a great kit.

One thing to note: all the other manual conversion kits do not offer an angled firewall mount, just a flat piece of aluminum. I have a factory Foxbody manual brake firewall mount, and it mounts the master cylinder at a slight upward angle, same angle that MM has on their firewall blocks. Ford would not have engineered a firewall mount of this design if they did not prove a reason to do so. MM's reasearch proved Ford to be correct, surprise surprise.

The reason for the master cylinder being mounted at an angle has to do with side loading of the piston while the pedal is pushing it in. There are some aftermarket kits which compensate with a bent pushrod, but you lose strength with that design.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com