Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » popping noise from exhaust when cold?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: popping noise from exhaust when cold?
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86xchpstang  Ford pictures for 86xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all. I have a 1986 mustang with a 90 engine. my mods are.... h/c/I, cold air intake, 340lph areomotive fuel pump, 47lb injectors, o/r x pipe, long tube headers. Might be forgetting something but for the most part that's it!

So on to my question.... my car makes a popping noise under acceleration (almost like a misfire) only when the car is cold. It will do it once or twice and then never do it again under normal operating temperature. It hesitates under acceleration while making the popping noise and then acts normal after that! Just wanna make sure I don't blow my car up. I do have a tune btw. No check engine light or anything like that either.

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds almost like its not getting fuel. How long do you let the car warm up?

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

sofresh
¯
Member # 12393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofresh  Ford pictures for sofresh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had this problem also, was a cracked spark plug

--------------------
1988 Mustang LX H/C/I

Posts: 238 | From: Bayarea, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86xchpstang  Ford pictures for 86xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I let the car warm up for 10-15 min? How ever long it takes for the needle to move To normal on my temp gauge!
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was it like this before the tune? I would probably contact your tuner and let him know whats going on.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think to much fuel is not burning. Your computer is going nuts probably. I think you should go to your tuner to fix that problem. Check spark plugs and gap them again or replace them. If the problem still there then its your tune. Check maf clean it.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

How do I clean the maf
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86xchpstang:
[QB] How do I clean the maf https://youtu.be/xQGSkWEC_u4 enjoy [patriot]

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Of everything is mechanically sound and runs great when warm.

You sir are suffering from a lean pop. You sure the pop isn't thru the intake. Could be mistaken at times.

The maf transfer functions need to be richnened up. Could be related to long tubes and the O2s taking an excess amount of time to generate heat.

Sometimes to cure a drivability issue because of an incorrect tune you create other issues. Long tubes can be a pain to set right as you have to go in and change exhaust pulse width so the ecm knows exactly from what cam timing the sample of oxygen is being taken from.

Good luck just needs some tweaking in tune.

[ 2015-04-21, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

I was checking things out and I have an exhaust leak where the collector meets the x pipe. Could this be the problem?
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks cause problems. You could try fixing it and resetting the computer.

If it continues. As a bandaid try raising the the fuel pressure at the regulator a few lbs.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Also those cold air kits bring problems to the maf on their own to a daily driver with little to no hp gain.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

How do I check for vacuum leaks?
86xchpstang
¯
Member # 11800

So I just ran codes on my car and it gave me a 32r- egr valve control system signal out of specification and 33r-egr valve not opening properly. Could this be part of my popping?
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Yep. Car is running lean, unless of course they shut off the EGR in the tune.

Do you still have cats smog pump and the heads have passages for smog pump tubes and EGR?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com