Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 92 5.0 LX rough start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 92 5.0 LX rough start
jboi_510
¯
Member # 13366

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jboi_510  Ford pictures for jboi_510  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The last couple days I go to start and she cranks over but will not fire. Not until I try a few times while pressing on the gas. She has always fired right up. I understand this could be a number of things but also as soon as this issue started, when I finally do get her started she idles really really low to the point it shut off on one occasion. Seems these issues are related I'm wondering if that side effect narrows down the problem. As always thanks for you're time I love you ca fords community.
Posts: 25 | From: San Leandro Ca | Registered: Jan 2014  |  :
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuel pressure test yet?
jboi_510
¯
Member # 13366

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jboi_510  Ford pictures for jboi_510  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No not yet
Posts: 25 | From: San Leandro Ca | Registered: Jan 2014  |  :
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
spray some starter fluid in the intake and start it. If it starts up easier than you have a fuel supply issue my friend.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe the idle set screw loosened up since you say it idles low.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue but I've had this issue before and it ended up being the throttle position sensor. Theyre cheap and easy to get to if you dont feel like testing it with a volt meter.
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another thing to try is wiggling the two plugs for the engine harness that are mounted on the back of the upper intake plenum. Do it if you can, while the car is running. Good luck --Rick
Jeff H
¯
Member # 13341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff H  Ford pictures for Jeff H    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bet the in tank fuel pump has taken a s**t.if the pump still works, Ive found a hole in the hose that connects the intank pump to the fuel line has rotted through creating a internal fuel leak in the tank which will make your injector pressure drop. A direct result of using that oxigenatd fuel that was abundant in cali for so many years....

[ 2015-04-12, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Jeff H ]

Posts: 44 | From: Manteca Ca. | Registered: Dec 2013  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com