Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 air and fuel upgrades

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 air and fuel upgrades
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsy88  Ford pictures for gypsy88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just put a maf and 24lb injectors in do I need a bigger throttle body. It doesn't feel like it picked up power.
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just adding Injectors and MAF will do nothing for you unless you upgrade your Intake and Heads. Gears will be the best bang for your buck
Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gypsy88  Ford pictures for gypsy88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You talking about the upper and lower intake manifold
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless you have upgraded heads & intake manifold, 24lb injectors are pretty much unnecessary.. 19lb injectors are perfectly fine with just bolt on like tb/egr spacer, headers, exhaust, etc.. Ive actually felt like my car got more sluggish when adding 24lb injectors & maf with just simple bolt ons; my cars always ran a lot better with the 19's..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *Als50*:
Gears will be the best bang for your buck

I agree with him.. gears are the one of the best mods you can do in my opinion..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

I've got cold air intake, underdrive pulleys , Mac shorty headers, off-road h pipe and flowmaster 40s.
gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

Can I instal gears my self??
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't try it. Ditch the cai and put back the stock box minus the silencer that's inside the fender panel for starters.

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

gypsy88
¯
Member # 13891

I don't have the box just a long filter coming off the maf
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Try to find the stock air box with the stock elbow and put it back on.
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why ditch the CAI?

I had to go with a CAI because the stock elbow wouldn't fit on a 70mm throttle body. I barely got the stock elbow to fit on a 65mm. Had to stretch it a lot.

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

CAI. Made of Metal. Metal heats-up. Air going thru CAI begins to get saturated by heat. Rubber OEM elbow does not get Saturated by the heat nearly as much. CAI purpose is now a defeated purpose since the air that's suppose to be cold, is now warm.....
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmmm...thanks for that explanation!

So how do you get the 58mm stock rubber elbow over a 70mm throttle body? Like I said, I had a bitch of a time getting it on a 65mm TB....but with a lot of "encouraging", it worked. I don't know if it had any more stretch to it though!

[ 2015-02-18, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Marks93 ]

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't recommend using the stock elbow because the accordion style tubing traps air. Go with an n/a power pipe from UPR (other companies make this as well), they are made from plastic and will not heat soak. What size maf housing do you have? Throw the stock 19's back on and get yourself a c&l 73mm maf housing. [patriot]

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, Do not use the chrome BBK cai, you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

--------------------
ET's to come

sofresh
¯
Member # 12393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofresh  Ford pictures for sofresh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
Also, Do not use the chrome BBK cai, you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

So what are good CAI to use on a bolt-on car

--------------------
1988 Mustang LX H/C/I

Posts: 238 | From: Bayarea, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Like I said above, a plastic power pipe and/or anything made from plastic. You can also save some money by making your own out of pvc pipe from Home depot. Those chrome BBK cai's heat soak instantly.

--------------------
ET's to come

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Originally posted by sofresh:
[/QUOTE]So what are good CAI to use on a bolt-on
Anything Non-Metallic. I used the Stock air box on my 347 na w/the accordian style elbow with no problems at all. Carajo went 10's with the stock airbox and accordian elbow aswell. [Wink]

sofresh
¯
Member # 12393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofresh  Ford pictures for sofresh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *Als50*:
Originally posted by sofresh:

So what are good CAI to use on a bolt-on
Anything Non-Metallic. I used the Stock air box on my 347 na w/the accordian style elbow with no problems at all. Carajo went 10's with the stock airbox and accordian elbow aswell. [Wink]
[/QUOTE]

Any pictures ? I've been looking all day and can't find any cold airs without being made out of aluminum

--------------------
1988 Mustang LX H/C/I

Posts: 238 | From: Bayarea, CA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com