Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Exhaust ideas?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Exhaust ideas?
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So basically just wanna know if anyone can think of anything i can do to make car sound a little meaner? Dont really want to do any internals. Want to keep it clean and simple.

Mods i have are

Bbk CAI
Bbk shorty headers
Bbk o/r h-pipe
Flowmasters with 2.5" pipe to the back

Anything else im missing? I dont want to go internal...heres a little quick sound clip, didnt really rev it just wanted to give you an idea of sound

http://youtu.be/Ydh21-vHfYw

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
SSP NOTCH
¯
Member # 13449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSP NOTCH  Ford pictures for SSP NOTCH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might consider changing the flowmasters with a magnaflow exhaust. It will definitely sound meaner.
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Certain series? I just got these so kinda want to keep for a while. But i was thinkin slp later in future...

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mac Flow-path. Don't look back.

[ 2015-01-29, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: *Als50* ]

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
Certain series? I just got these so kinda want to keep for a while. But i was thinkin slp later in future...

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I wouldn't put a magnaflow on a non-modular motor, and i wouldn't put flowmaster on a modular motor.

I think you have the right setup as far as exhaust goes. and I know you mentioned not going "internal" but have you looked into a B series cam? They're smog legal, and are extremely affordable as well as easy to install. not to mention, with H/C/I you'd be pleased with the power.

I hope this helps!

- Michael

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Sinister Mustang:
quote:

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I wouldn't put a magnaflow on a non-modular motor, and i wouldn't put flowmaster on a modular motor.

I think you have the right setup as far as exhaust goes. and I know you mentioned not going "internal" but have you looked into a B series cam? They're smog legal, and are extremely affordable as well as easy to install. not to mention, with H/C/I you'd be pleased with the power.

I hope this helps!

- Michael

If i was to go with a cam ide also then want heads and rockers and upper and lower. Meanin alot of money going into it. Or would i be fine with a b303 and nothing else?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I hope this helps!

- Michael

If i was to go with a cam ide also then want heads and rockers and upper and lower. Meanin alot of money going into it. Or would i be fine with a b303 and nothing else?
Hey SacGrown89GT,

Yes, you can run the B series with stock heads. The gains from running a b series with E7 heads is minimal at best. A cam is only ~$200. and install can be a pain. but at least you'll have that tone and also pick up a little bit a power at the same time without worrying about smog!

I hope this helps!

- Michael

--------------------

www.SinisterMustang.com

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my opinion, catless h pipe with flows is the best sound ever on a 50. I say keep it as is.

I do like the sound of b cam but do you really want to crack open your stock motor just to put a cam in it and nothing else?

[ 2015-01-29, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spintech FTW

Have these on my 70 with 351w LT straight exhaust to these But side exhaust very loud

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/street-mufflers/super-pro-street-9000/cat_22.html

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
Spintech FTW

Have these on my 70 with 351w LT straight exhaust to these But side exhaust very loud

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/street-mufflers/super-pro-street-9000/cat_22.html

if you do decide to change it up I vote for spin tech too

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
BLACKOUTLAW
¯
Member # 6821

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLACKOUTLAW  Ford pictures for BLACKOUTLAW  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out Dynatect mufflers?

--------------------
THE HEART BEAT STOPS HERE!

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I hope this helps!

- Michael

Hey SacGrown89GT,

Yes, you can run the B series with stock heads. The gains from running a b series with E7 heads is minimal at best. A cam is only ~$200. and install can be a pain. but at least you'll have that tone and also pick up a little bit a power at the same time without worrying about smog!

I hope this helps!

- Michael

Yeah ide hate to open up the motor for just a cam and no power difference. Would a bigger TB help at all?

And if i did a h/c/i whats would be the cheapest but best to get? Smog legal

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did love my long tubes, cat less H and spintechs sounded mean

But then I did like when I had bbk equal length headers, bassani catted x and SLP LM1 it was loud but not too loud

Out of all my exhuast changes those two where my favorite

It was in my old 93 5.0

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The sound you want is going to come from a cam with a 110 LSA.
ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with slp lm2 they arr gona be loud and have a tone to them.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I hope this helps!

- Michael

Hey SacGrown89GT,

I hope this helps!

- Michael

Yeah ide hate to open up the motor for just a cam and no power difference. Would a bigger TB help at all?

And if i did a h/c/i whats would be the cheapest but best to get? Smog legal

Hey SacGrown89GT,

As far as a smog legal setup, you can't go wrong with a cobra intake, gt40 heads, and a B series cam.

If you're looking for the cheapest possible way of doing this. I'd look for an explorer intake ( the porting on the cobra and the explorer intake are near exact, but no fancy Cobra emblem on the top )

Finding GT40 aluminum heads might be hard. I'd keep an eye out on someone parting out or selling a set. I believe Ford Racing still produces these ( I can assist with a quote for those, if you're curious )

For a cam,i wouldn't buy a used one. They're inexpensive new anyway.

I hope this helps!

- Michael

--------------------

www.SinisterMustang.com

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Whats a good price to spend on heads cam intake?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It would be best to just get another 302 block and rebuild it on the side because do you really wana throw a hci on a block with 100k+ miles?? Than when it starts to smoke and needs a rebuild having to pull it out and disassemble and assemble everything so its just better to build a fresh motor on the side , after buy some new trickflow heads ($1200-1300), now if you find used for around 700-800 I would meetup with the seller at the machine shop so the machinist can tell you what they need and quote you on the work, now if they need $300 worth of work you'll be better spending the extra 200 on a brand new shiny pair that you'll be more comfortable with because they are NEW. Now if they are used AFR heads for $700 I wouldn't hesitate picking them up and dumping 300 into machine work because they are $1500 heads and you will be saving 500 which actually is some savings. ..onto the cam...I would also just buy it new they are like 250 id get the e303 cam or trickflow stage 1 bcuz those are smog legal...intake I would get a cheap gt40 intake from an explorer or try to get aftermarket for under $350 just make sure it doesn't have cracks because 3/4 times that ive dealt with used intakes they have cracks and thats not good and im talking about cracks the size of a hairline so inspect every inch of it. Thats pretty much what I did with my 306 build hope this helps

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
It would be best to just get another 302 block and rebuild it on the side because do you really wana throw a hci on a block with 100k+ miles?? Than when it starts to smoke and needs a rebuild having to pull it out and disassemble and assemble everything so its just better to build a fresh motor on the side , after buy some new trickflow heads ($1200-1300), now if you find used for around 700-800 I would meetup with the seller at the machine shop so the machinist can tell you what they need and quote you on the work, most of the time sellers say they are ready to bolt on but thats bs they just wana sell you there f'd up heads, not saying everyone is like that just the majority. Now if they need $300 worth of work you'll be better spending the extra 200 on a brand new shiny pair that you'll be more comfortable with because they are NEW. Now if they are used AFR heads for $700 I wouldn't hesitate picking them up and dumping 300 into machine work because they are $1500 heads and you will be saving 500 which actually is some savings. ..onto the cam...I would also just buy it new they are like 250 id get the e303 cam or trickflow stage 1 bcuz those are smog legal...intake I would get a cheap gt40 intake from an explorer or try to get aftermarket for under $350 just make sure it doesn't have cracks because 3/4 times that ive dealt with used intakes they have cracks and thats not good and im talking about cracks the size of a hairline so inspect every inch of it. Thats pretty much what I did with my 306 build hope this helps

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
It would be best to just get another 302 block and rebuild it on the side because do you really wana throw a hci on a block with 100k+ miles?? Than when it starts to smoke and needs a rebuild having to pull it out and disassemble and assemble everything so its just better to build a fresh motor on the side , after buy some new trickflow heads ($1200-1300), now if you find used for around 700-800 I would meetup with the seller at the machine shop so the machinist can tell you what they need and quote you on the work, now if they need $300 worth of work you'll be better spending the extra 200 on a brand new shiny pair that you'll be more comfortable with because they are NEW. Now if they are used AFR heads for $700 I wouldn't hesitate picking them up and dumping 300 into machine work because they are $1500 heads and you will be saving 500 which actually is some savings. ..onto the cam...I would also just buy it new they are like 250 id get the e303 cam or trickflow stage 1 bcuz those are smog legal...intake I would get a cheap gt40 intake from an explorer or try to get aftermarket for under $350 just make sure it doesn't have cracks because 3/4 times that ive dealt with used intakes they have cracks and thats not good and im talking about cracks the size of a hairline so inspect every inch of it. Thats pretty much what I did with my 306 build hope this helps

It does have over 100k but im second owner and car has never been dogged. I dont need a race car either i dnt know if i want to go that route. My boy is sellin afr aluminum 195 heads and a holley upper and lower and a cam for $2200. That a good deal?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

quote:
quote:

It does have over 100k but im second owner and car has never been dogged. I dont need a race car either i dnt know if i want to go that route. My boy is sellin afr aluminum 195 heads and a holley upper and lower and a cam for $2200. That a good deal?
Those heads are a bit big for a 302 itll work but itll probably feel weak in the lower rpms... and no not a good deal. You can get new trick flow heads for 1200, rockers for 160, e303 cam 200 and a used intake for under 2k..

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

For now im going to leave as is. But hopefully by summer im going with h/c/i. Fuk it

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my fox I run:

BBK Longtubes
BBK offroad x-pipe
Magnaflows

Sounded mean as fuck when I got on it.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
On my fox I run:

BBK Longtubes
BBK offroad x-pipe
Magnaflows

I hear longtubes are the way to go. I just dont want to deal with smog issues every 2 years.

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
On my fox I run:

BBK Longtubes
BBK offroad x-pipe
Magnaflows

I hear longtubes are the way to go. I just dont want to deal with smog issues every 2 years.
It only sucks when you have stock front suspension(k-member) otherwise it's an easy swap.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com