Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help!!! 98 gt

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help!!! 98 gt
POSLX
¯
Member # 11438

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POSLX  Ford pictures for POSLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alternator went out last week I replaced it recharged the battery 3 days later battery died, went down to OREILLY they checked out the alternator said it was fine , hooked up the battery said it was bad , they warranted me battery now 3 days later, my battery light comes on and I have a lose in voltage on my battery gauge also I noticed that when I accelerate my voltage goes back to normal , any ideas what it is? I replaced the battery terminals a few months ago , bought new coil packs recently had a alarm installed had me thinking there's a bad connection, I was reading up on my problem, possibilities bad connection, bad grounds, have a draw some where, alarm, voltage meter

--------------------
92 5.0 lx sold
98 gt

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so when you accelerate the battery voltage goes to normal? What is the battery voltage gauge reading when idle then?

Make sure all connections are tightened on the alternator.

If the volt gauge is spiking past normal then the voltage regulator on the alternator is no good and the unit needs to be replaced.

Any corrosion on the battery terminals? Clean them.

Maybe the original alternator melted a fuseable link or some wires down the line check all wiring under hood (trace the harnesses)

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

POSLX
¯
Member # 11438

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POSLX  Ford pictures for POSLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
so when you accelerate the battery voltage goes to normal? What is the battery voltage gauge reading when idle then?

Make sure all connections are tightened on the alternator.

If the volt gauge is spiking past normal then the voltage regulator on the alternator is no good and the unit needs to be replaced.
Any corrosion on the battery terminals? Clean them.

Maybe the original alternator melted a fuseable link or some wires down the line check all wiring under hood (trace the harnesses)

Haven't hooked up a voltage meter going to buy one tomorrow I was reading should be up to 14, on my battery gauge the needle sits on the O then when I start driving it starts to lower like it's draining and starts to sit on the N when I give it gas and get on it, it jumps up pass half towards the R on the gauge, thanks I'm going to look at all the connections tomorrow and check out the alternator heard that there's many cases where the alternators having defects out of the box, terminals look good no corrosion car never gave me a problem prior to this seems kind of odd

--------------------
92 5.0 lx sold
98 gt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com