Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fixing the ratchet coupe... Turbo notch

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fixing the ratchet coupe... Turbo notch
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheelsonly  Ford pictures for wheelsonly    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So some time last year I was looking for a car to play with. I ended up with a super pile while it was a pretty quick car the crasftmanship, wiring missing hardware and and just half ass installations where everywhere in the tub. I knew this when I first bought the car made a decent cash offer figured since I work for a couple of top level pro race teams I'd be able to revive this car into something decent. Well about two weeks in the car loss oil pressure, caught fire from a rubber homemade dipstick laying on the grades and the transmission blew up sold as a built c4 that was filled with stock parts.. So after I built the trans and heavy cleaning after I douched it with the extinguisher I decided to sell it as is and buy a better safer faster car. but could not sell this one.. Plus it was race season and I travel every weekend so I stuck in the trailer until winter.. Well winters here and below of some pics of the new updates..

pics of the car
 -
 -

Parts before cleaning and porting
 -
 -
 -

manifold clean up didn't try to make the perfect just a quick clean up and gasket match..
 -
 -
 -
 -

Ported and coated the turbo housing since I had to flush the turbo but found no debris from the rod bearings.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ 2014-11-28, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: wheelsonly ]

wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheelsonly  Ford pictures for wheelsonly    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now onto the heads since its somewhat of a hobby of mine I decided to take them off in the trailer as I do this during my one hour lunch at work taken me about 5 days to get to this point.. heads a re still in progress hope to finish one bank of porting today and finish the valve job Saturday..

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sick build man [patriot]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very nice [Eek!] [worship]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking good bro
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TURBO FTW!!!! Sick build bro

I think i saw this car for sale on craigslist..

[ 2014-11-29, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

So quick update on the head did a little pocket porting.. on the exhaust port here are some before and after pics before I do the valve job.. still somewhat in progress but give you an idea..

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought your neighbor was making you a new hotside? You still need to get a real block before you break this one.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

I don't have a block yet.. We are going to make a new cross pipe and maybe up pipe.. I need a block I still don't have one
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks sick! i love the pics of the after port work real smooth compared to the casting.

Have fun with it!

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

99Mamba
¯
Member # 7506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Mamba  Ford pictures for 99Mamba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice!
Posts: 660 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

So A little update on my progress for the ratchet coupe.. So I decided to strip down the lower manifold and put it in the parts wash. While that was in the washer I decided to work on the combustion chambers for the cylinder heads. Not trying to remove any heavy material just unshroud the valves and remove any sharp edges around the seats left by the factory valve see cutter. Below are some before and after pictures of the factory cast chamber and reported chamber.. Then I figured since I had the manifold off I would both the manifold to the cylinder heads and port match the manifold to the heads.. Again not trying to remove heavy material just trying to make a seamless port..below are some pictures of my daily process...

Before wash
 -

After
 -

Before chamber porting
 -

After

-

-

-

-
 -

-

[ 2014-12-03, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: wheelsonly ]

wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

Another quick daily update after welding In the fittings for the catch can I decided to sand blast and wrinkle finish the valve covers. also clean off the valve with the wire wheel.. not bad for an hour lunch..

-

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
now i know who you are on instagram! lol. Nice work man. You like the quality of that VHT wrinkle? Looks pretty good!

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

yeah I like it as you can see I sprayed it heavy one coat I heated the part to 130 degrees and sprayed it.. then I kept it in our warm paint booth and fanned it with a heat gun. I was scared to do a second coat cause I thought it may look blotchy. but it seems durable I even hit it with mps spray which is like brake cleaner and it didn't remove the paint.. we'll see how it holds up when it gets heated by the turbo manifold.
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

finished off the intake ports decided to leave it rough only using a 60 grit stone in the bowl area and leave the rest with the carbide finish not just gotta do the other side and the valve job..

-
 -
 -

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sick build [Eek!] [worship]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there any other way to clean off those valve covers? I have chrome on mine to but I want to paint them the same as you.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

By hand with red scuff lad I'd d/a sander anything as Long as you scuff the surface so the paint can stick
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wheelsonly:
By hand with red scuff lad I'd d/a sander anything as Long as you scuff the surface so the paint can stick

Thanks! How did you learn to port?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

Been doing it since about 17 years old the. Started doing engine fab for pro race teams are about 19 still stuck in the racing industry

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com