Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » do I need taller valve covers? intake spacer? cowl hood?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: do I need taller valve covers? intake spacer? cowl hood?
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building a 302 for a 90 notch mustang. Using gt40 heads, a crane 2031 cam, and 1.7 scorpion rockers. Is this valve lift increase going to require taller valve covers and a manifold spacer? If so will I be out of space to clear the stock hood. If it matters (I'm sure it does), I am using a upr tubular k member and what I believe are convertible motor mounts (I went to vic Hubbard and asked for convertible mounts when it was time to change them and they gave me these, saying the part number is for all body styles?). I want to keep the stock hood.

Also if anyone has used my top end combo before, can I use standard length pushrods? Thanks

[ 2014-11-04, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: bentley mobs a stang ]

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.513 intake .529 exhaust lift

--------------------

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running 1.6 rockers I would remove the oil baffle on stock valve covers for sure if you want to use 1.7 not 100% sure if 1.7 will clear after that but my 1.6 cleared on stock covers with baffle delete.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have comp ultra golds and had to remove the oil baffle as well. U still need to do something to prevent the oil from splashing up the fill neck. Lee posted some good pix for fixing this.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Canton sells medium height valve covers, says they clear most roller rockers.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dave  Ford pictures for Big Dave    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You shouldn't need a cowl hood. Taller valve covers would help rocker clearance, but as others have said, you can grind out the baffles and spines in the stock VCs and use them, therefore not needing an intake spacer either. It is a lot of work though. I actually like using a spacer because it lets me remove the VCs without removing the upper intake.

--------------------
86 GT Vert with some mods. Yup

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RAP66:
I have comp ultra golds and had to remove the oil baffle as well. U still need to do something to prevent the oil from splashing up the fill neck. Lee posted some good pix for fixing this.

I ground down the baffle support, pounded down the baffle plate and screwed it back on and that worked. However, you have to use the late 90's valve covers as they don't have the vertical supports like the earlier VC's. Some of the rockers hit the vertical supports as well as the oil baffle.

The drawback with pounding down the baffle and using that to avoid oil splashing is that it limits the flow of oil when you're adding it, thus backs up. you have to add it slowly. But it works.
[patriot]

Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dave  Ford pictures for Big Dave    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Mark!

I've got those ridges in the old VCs, they are a pain to grind down, let me tell you. I removed the baffle completely, but I have a check valve in the hose going to the throttle body, so I've never had an issue with oil seepage.

--------------------
86 GT Vert with some mods. Yup

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmmm...check valve, great idea!

Yea, I had a set of the old VC's with the posts that I had powder coated before the rockers and really wanted to use those.....until I found out how much grinding I'd have to do. Dug out the old set, cleaned, painted, pounded, good to go!

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Thans for the replies. Think I'll play around with the baffles a bit

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com