Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » msd distributor wont sit flesh (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: msd distributor wont sit flesh
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 351w with msd distributor it drops pretty much all the way down but leave a gap of 2 or 3 cm i was wonder what could be causing this problem.
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rotate the motor. Either with the starter or put a socket on the crank pulley. Push down while rotating.

[ 2014-10-17, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Usually the problem is the oil pump shaft is not fully seating into the bottom of the distributer. Using a flashlight and a long screwdriver, try moving the top of the oil pump drive shaft to the center of the hole. Carefully lower the distributer into the hole and jiggle the rotor, hopefully it will go all the way down.

Sometimes rotating the oil pump shaft a little bit helps get the shaft to sit in the middle of the hole. An oil pump priming tool is best but a socket taped to a long extension might work. The tape is to help prevent the socket from falling into the hole.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had this problem with EFI MSD Distributors on 5.0s with aftermarket oil pump shafts, which are a little longer than a Factory shaft, I had to trim the oil pump shaft to get it to work, this is one of the reasons I don't like MSD EFI Distributors

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both ways do the same thing. Either your rotating the oil pump shaft to align or turning the motor it rotates the distributor where the oil shaft fits in.

Not everyone has a oil pump primer lying around. Whatever is easiest with your tools or if the motor is in the car or not.

Other than that maybe racsirx's suggestion may be the problem?

[ 2014-10-18, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this same issue when I installed a new distributor. It's because the oil pump shaft is not lined up right. Get a socket that fits the pump shaft and a long extension and rotate it a little bit and retry stabbing the distributor. Eventually you'll get it indexed right.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68StangTAY  Ford pictures for 68StangTAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys i was puzzled because ive never had this issue but ill try what you guys suggested hopefully one of them will work.
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ItzStock:
Both ways do the same thing. Either your rotating the oil pump shaft to align or turning the motor it rotates the distributor where the oil shaft fits in.

If the cap and spark plug wires are already there, it's a bit easier to leave the motor set at #1 TDC and rotate the oil pump. Install the distributer and double check that the rotor is sitting under the #1 spark plug wire then adjust the distributer position for timing.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
quote:
Originally posted by ItzStock:

If the cap and spark plug wires are already there, it's a bit easier to leave the motor set at #1 TDC and rotate the oil pump. Install the distributer and double check that the rotor is sitting under the #1 spark plug wire then adjust the distributer position for timing.
Who leaves the cap an wires on when installing a distributor in a engine.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I have had this problem with EFI MSD Distributors on 5.0s with aftermarket oil pump shafts, which are a little longer than a Factory shaft, I had to trim the oil pump shaft to get it to work, this is one of the reasons I don't like MSD EFI Distributors

[patriot]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive never had this problem with a msd or arp shafts, i only have this problem if u don't leave a lil room for that press clip that's attached on the shaft some room.a lil tap will push that sleeve clip down an then the dis drops right in place.
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

ive never had this problem either this is the 1st time... ill find out tomorrow if any of these things will work and fix the problem
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
Ive never had this problem with a msd or arp shafts, i only have this problem if u don't leave a lil room for that press clip that's attached on the shaft some room.a lil tap will push that sleeve clip down an then the dis drops right in place.

I had this same issue but with the stock dizzy, and this was exactly why. Just pushed the press clip down about 1/8" and it fit perfectly.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Even if it sits perfectly on the block, grab the internal center section of the distributor and see if it has a little up and down motion if it doesn't the shaft is too long and will cause distributor failure

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:

what did you use to tap it down with?
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

quote:
Even if it sits perfectly on the block, grab the internal center section of the distributor and see if it has a little up and down motion if it doesn't the shaft is too long and will cause distributor failure

internal as in the rotor? and if so it should have some play?
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
Originally posted by 68StangTAY:
quote:

internal as in the rotor? and if so it should have some play?
The center section where the rotor goes in should have some play, try to move it while the distributor is out of the car and you should see what I mean.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

thanks.
68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

-

-

-

is this normal of no?
I just grabbed a shaft from autozone an the same results

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NO Measure the old dizzy or better yet install the old Dizzy and see if it goes all the way down. Then measure the old one to the MSD for depth ans do not forget to check the oil pump rod portion of the new Dizzy. It might have to be made deeper. That sometimes happens. That is why i never use aftermarket stuff It does not fit sometimes.Do this with it installed and holding the body down see if you can move the Dizzy shaft up and down . It is just a few thousands of an inch but if the shaft has no play vertically the oil shaft is to long. You may have to deepen the portion of the dizzy that will let the Oil shaft go deeper in the dizzy. That is a simple fix. Remember there has to be Vertical play in the shaft or the pump will be scored badly when the motor heats up

[ 2014-10-29, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are going to have to shorten the oil pump drive shaft. I have hade to do it several times.

I hope you are using an arp drive shaft. Especially if you have a high volume oil pump that every body seems to think they need.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious the engine is in the car?? I assume. So he has a problem to shorten the shaft??? If not pull out the shaft and shorten it. That is why i hate aftermarket stuff. It does not fit correctly

[ 2014-10-30, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

68StangTAY
¯
Member # 11114

i dont have the original shaft since it is a brand new motor so everything is new.but i dropped the oil pan and took the oil pump shaft out and it still did the same thing so im not sure what it could be making it stop before sitting flush with the block.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

That is what i thought. The dizzy has to be compared to the old unit. the GEAR is to low. I explained that in a previous post. Always go back to a stock setup to compare. The only thing left is the GEAR IS TO LOW ON THE SHAFT. I would return that and complain to the company. They may have a suggestion or an assembly issue internally in the company. Now you have just wasted time energy and parts. Not to mention you still have issues. I had a feeling the shaft was ok, It should have been compared to the original one previously before installing it. The Gear is the issue unless the body is hanging up but i dought that. Install the Dizzy and push down on it and see if it shaft has vertical play. If not the gear is to low on the shaft. That is all i can figure it is. Better get a stock dizzy. Those aftermarket stuff sucks. That sucks man

[ 2014-10-31, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the gear size and location on the distributor. I'll bet you have a 351c, 351m/400 and 460 distributor. They are the same as a Windsor but have a different gear at a little different hight.

If this is the case you can just change the gear. If you bought it new take it back.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com