Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 315-30-18 on a 9.5 inch rim?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 315-30-18 on a 9.5 inch rim?
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
has anyone ever ran a 315-30-18 Drag radial on a 9.5 inch rim? Does it fit well? Or bulge out to much?

I have a 18x9.5 inch rim and drag radial choices are limited. really its nitto or hoosier.

I would prefer the Hoosiers and the smallest they have is 315-30-18.

Anybody run this combo? How did it work? Pics?

Thanks

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will be used on the drag strip only
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are doing it to lay down more rubber to the road, then ur actually going to end up doing the opposite because of the bulge.. You are better off running a 285/295 on a 9.5".. usually if its for street use then 275 if the biggest recommended but if its only for drag strip use you can get away with a little bigger.. 315's usually require 10.5" or bigger wheels..

BUT if you are absolutely convinced that you want 315's, go with Nittos because they run a little narrower.. Ive seen people run 315 nittos on stock 9" 03 cobra wheels and it actually doesnt bulge too much.. However other 315's in the market are wider so idk how the fitment would be.. It comes down to the brand, every brands 315 tire is a different size..

Nitto 315's on stock 9" cobra wheel
 -
 -

Nitto 315's vs BFGoodrich 315's
 -

Sumitomo 315 vs Goodyear 315
 -

[ 2014-10-15, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Only reason I said that size is because that's the smallest size hoosier has in an 18".

Nittos are almost twice the price and not as good.

Only other option would be a 27x12.5x18 MT et street but everyone says the hoosier is better traction wise.

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

These are also for a corvette which requires a minimum 17" rim. But I already own 18s so I was gonna just buy tires.

I'm sure some et streets would be ok but I want to make sure there are no traction problems. Why I want the hoosiers. I don't want a full slick tho.

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A lot of my friends run MT and Nittos and dont really run into traction issues.. What power range are you at and what rpm do you launch at? The 12.5" is basically 317 vs 315.. So its basically the same thing if you think about.. Just out of curiosity, if its a drag strip ONLY car then why not just go with full slicks??

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

A 27x12.5x18 Mt has a minimum recommended wheel width of 10 inches. A 315 x 30 18 hoosier says 11 inches.

The car has 590rw and is an auto. All my vet buddy's say hoosier hoosier. I have never ran et streets before.

Also it's not a drag only car it's a daily and if you run a full slick than by track rules I think you need extended studs and who knows what else. Plus I would like to drive to the track on them. Legally anyway.

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

I run 345 street tires and can't even hook till after 60mph. The car is not set up for drag so I'm not sure how the MT will work compared since the hoosiers are basically slicks.
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

0o ok gotcha! The difference in rim size is probably because of the difference in width of the 2 tires due to different manufacturers and also the sidewalls.. I have personal experience with MT's and I liked them.. A lot of my friends also run Hoosiers and hook great.. But they are all running 10" or 10.5" rims with them.. I say just sell the rims you have now and invest in some wider rims.. With the wider rim the tire will sit flatter instead of bulging and you will be able to lay more rubber to the ground.. Thats just what I would do though.. But like I said earlier, a lot of people run 315's on 9" & 9.5" rims with no issues.. Ive actually seen a guy running 315's on a 8" wheel(which i do not recommend AT ALL haha) but it is do-able if you want to keep the 9.5" rims and run 315's..

[ 2014-10-15, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

315's on a 8" wide rim..

Do-able: Yes

Safe: HELL NO haha

-

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
315's on a 8" wide rim..

-

Wouldn't most tire shops refuse to mount those? lol

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
quote:
315's on a 8" wide rim..

-

you would think that they would refuse, but apparently some shops dont give a dam haha

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
quote:
315's on a 8" wide rim..

-

you would think that they would refuse, but apparently some shops dont give a dam haha
How in the fuck...

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com