Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Idle surging after warm up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Idle surging after warm up
B_stang89
¯
Member # 13695

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for B_stang89  Ford pictures for B_stang89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I gotta 89 Fox 5.0. I just installed f303 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake, 24lb injectors, 76mm mass air meter, bbk cold air intake. I set my fuel pressure to 42lbs with vac disconnected, tps set at .98, New IAC valve, idle plate (cause car would idle high without it).

The problem is when car is warm and is been driven to the store etc. When I start it, it looks like trying to find idle (surging up and down) and eventually dies. I have to hold my foot on the pedal until it settles to a steady idle. I checked for vacuum leaks and cannot detect any. Any help would be appreciated, thanx😎

iSTUNT707
¯
Member # 11430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iSTUNT707  Ford pictures for iSTUNT707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Un plug ur mass air and see the difference otherwise adjust ur TPS should b at .096-.099 range

[ 2014-09-22, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: iSTUNT707 ]

--------------------
"toooouchdown RAIDERS!".....greg papa

Posts: 170 | From: fairfield/vallejo/cordelia | Registered: Nov 2011  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some foxbodies are just un-curable. I've learned to deal with mine.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordfiveoh  Ford pictures for fordfiveoh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be an intake leak? Or the throttle butterfly valve isn't open enough for air to enter the intake? Are the 24lb injectors matched to a 24lb MAF sensor?
Posts: 180 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
B_stang89
¯
Member # 13695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for B_stang89  Ford pictures for B_stang89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I unplugged it and it starts to run crazy. It runs worse when I have my fender well breather on so I just run filter on mass meter. But always surges on first start when warm, but after that it's fine? Is something very minor I know it, it always is.... smh
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unplug the IAC, does it get better or worse?

Also when you did all of these changes to the TPS and whatnot did you reset your idle? If so was the IAC still connected when you moved the idle screw?

My 89 was being a cunt and doing this same shit with the e cam until I replaced the IAC and TPS then unplugged the IAC and reset the idle.

Once I got the idle smoothed out on a warmed up engine problem was gone!

Good luck [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

B_stang89
¯
Member # 13695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for B_stang89  Ford pictures for B_stang89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, I did the idle reset procedure. And it wasn't plugged when I got it to idle at the lowest 850-900rpm without it dying out. Once it idled, I turned car off plugged (Brand New) IAC and let run for 5 min with no accessories on and then again with everything on, etc. I have to use the idle plate for it to act right. And now I can unplug my IAC and that wouldn't have any effect. It's like it's not working anymore.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com