Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rear Disc Brake Conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rear Disc Brake Conversion
89'Fox
¯
Member # 13742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89'Fox  Ford pictures for 89'Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I just did a rear disc brake conversion on my fox and I want to know if the brakes will work without a proporting valve . I know I need one to evenly distribute the brake pressure , but can I run the brake without it and what do I need to do to make it work .
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need a valve And i would not run the car without one. use a wellwood unit. Adjustable and work great.

[ 2014-09-07, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't worry about it till you are ready to change it. I've done many swaps already with the same valve.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
89'Fox
¯
Member # 13742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89'Fox  Ford pictures for 89'Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok thanks . Will a ford racing or Jegs prop. Valve work to ?

I got everything set up it gutted the stock prop valve that comes off the MC and plugged it . The only thing I think I'm missing is a adjustable prop valve. I'm trying to run the car until I get the prop valve but my brakes aren't moving could it be cause I haven't bled the brakes ? Thanks for the help in advance

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You would be better off having no valve. But in my experience and i have done numerous conversions on all types of cars you need a valve to balance the system You need a valve and you must remove the old one. Your breaking will be very dangerous at best. DONT DO IT WITHOUT A VALVE.

Ok if you do not have the valve why start bleeding?? Because you have to start over when you install the valve. Also ditch the entire stock valve completely and just use an adjustable in the rear. It makes the conversion much easier and clean. Wellwood is a good valve and they are cheap and good quality.

[ 2014-09-08, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Here is a conversion i did on a vette. Installing giant front brakes ditching the ABS and of course a balance valve. Absolutely removed all the stock valves and just use one adjustible unit works the best. I have been doing this many many years and i know what works. Trust me.

-

-

Believe me when i build engines the car better have good brakes.

-

[ 2014-09-08, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

89'Fox
¯
Member # 13742

We'll thanks for the information & pics I appreciate it, it helps a lot and the only reason why I wanted to bleed the brakes was so I can drive the car now until the valve arrives

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com