Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T56 diagnosing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T56 diagnosing
mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for mdlrfox8846  Ford pictures for mdlrfox8846  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have any rebuilding or diagnosing knowledge with t56 transmissions in the 209 area?

It's off an 03-04 cobra

[ 2014-09-02, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: mdlrfox8846 ]

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats it doing?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdlrfox8846  Ford pictures for mdlrfox8846  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It has a bad noise in first gear only not quite like a rear end whine tho it sounds worse
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your sure its not the rear wnd have already swapped oil in the transmission for fresh one and made sure its topped off then try this.

If you're sure it's the T56, does it change at all in 4th gear? If so, it might be the pilot bushing/bearing or the pocket bearing on the mainshaft. If it's the same in all gears, look at the input shaft bearing or any of the countershaft or large main bearings.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
mdlrfox8846
¯
Member # 9738

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mdlrfox8846  Ford pictures for mdlrfox8846  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I purchased the tranny early this year used and was told it worked "perfectly fine". I installed it ran synchromesh (fluid as I've done in all my mustangs) and it makes a real nasty whine in "1st gear only", 2nd - 6th make no noise. Before I installed it I noticed a leak on tail housing so I removed it to re-silicone and I notice there was a broken piece on the magnet so I removed the front cover ( the trans was very clean inside by the way so obviously had work done to it) I did see the piece that was broken was replaced though. I ended up emoving the trans and noticed the input shaft does have a lot of play. I added another shim behind the input shaft race but according to D&D and Promotion Powertrain that is too much shimming (.090) than the usual (.02x- .05x) even though with the .090 the input shaft play is withing spec. I re installed my T45 and everything is fine so something definitely has to be wrong with the t56 .

Thanks for the reply

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com