Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351W ideas...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351W ideas...
duracell916
Member # 13737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for duracell916  Ford pictures for duracell916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 91 ford f150. It came with a 302, but now has a 351w. It also has JBA headers and a Flowmaster exhaust.

I would like to get more horsepower (400-450). My limited research suggests that the cylinder heads should be replaced. For that I was looking at Trick Flow 170. Any suggestions?

Also, would it be a good idea to replace the camshaft? If so, how does one determine the proper lift and duration to match with the cylinder head?

Should the ignition system also be modified?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 185 head.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

duracell916
Member # 13737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for duracell916  Ford pictures for duracell916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also I forgot to mention that passing smog is a big concern,so California Legal (EOD#) is a priority. Thanks.
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by duracell916:
Also I forgot to mention that passing smog is a big concern,so California Legal (EOD#) is a priority. Thanks.

185afr are smog legal. Yes there are some sets that aren't smog legal. Once you figured out what head/intake combo you are going with. I'd order out a custom cam shaft.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think afr 185s renegades are the biggest smog legal heads. Just
get those and port them along with a ported systemax intake and a custom cam.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
351 , senior 200 world heads, gt 40 intake, vortech charger, smog legal, well it looks smog legal besides being a 351, fits under stock hood that took a lot of work. right under 500 rear wheel hp. I love it.
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:

I did not know some afr were smog legal Ed?... Huh.

What classifies heads as smog legal and non smog legal?

Charles

[patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:

I did not know some afr were smog legal Ed?... Huh.

What classifies heads as smog legal and non smog legal?

Charles

[patriot]

Carb eo# number makes them smog legal.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With a speed density system you will be limited on tuning for drivability and power due to injector sizing and compensation for the extra airflow which high flow heads, etc will provide.

There are some proven SD set ups out there but it will eventually prove to be a limiting performance factor. I doubt any MAF conversion kit would be smog legal.

Buy a 5.4 Lightning if you want to go fast with an older Ford truck.

duracell916
Member # 13737

Can this be alleviated by "hacking" the computer? I hear OBD-1 vehicles are more susceptible to modification with respect to adjusting fuel parameters, etc. I know someone with loose morals who would teach me on how to accomplish this, but is it probable? Thanks.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
talk to aj in frame tuning in napa, he knows a lot of different ways to tune our mustangs.
3cRider
¯
Member # 10052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3cRider  Ford pictures for 3cRider    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe the biggest smog legal heads AFR makes are the 195s, and they're wicked. I have them on a 347. They have an EO and the smog provisions as well.

[ 2014-09-09, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: 3cRider ]

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
With a speed density system you will be limited on tuning for drivability and power due to injector sizing and compensation for the extra airflow which high flow heads, etc will provide.

There are some proven SD set ups out there but it will eventually prove to be a limiting performance factor. I doubt any MAF conversion kit would be smog legal.

Buy a 5.4 Lightning if you want to go fast with an older Ford truck.

Ford used to make a smog legal MAF conversion kit for F150s and Broncos. They don't make them any more, but you might be able to find one on ebay or one of the truck/bronco forums. Or you could probably pull the parts from a '94-'96 F150 or Bronco. I'm pretty sure they were MAF.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1179

[ 2014-09-09, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com