Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » carburetor help....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: carburetor help....
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 68 stang with an electric holly blue fuel pump a 302 with gt40 cast heads mild comp cam and an edlebrock intake. i have a holly 680cfm street avenger. this carb seems over kill to me and im looking to purchase an smaller carb any recommendations on brand and size.? any help u can offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks [patriot]

--------------------
91Coupe-347,tremec tko, 373's
68Coupe-GT40heads,crane2031cam,victor jr,tremec3550,3.55's
R.I.P. silverlx

Posts: 201 | From: Healdsburg, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JETTER'ER DOWN!! why do you think it's too big. It's a little big for the motor (cfm wise), but nothing crazy. How is it acting?

[ 2014-07-14, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same exact carb on a 302 with eddie heads and intake and custom cam. What's your problems I might know a few tricks.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes it is a little to big for your comp. But it's not so big you should be having problems. What is it doing? With your combo. I'd be looking for a 600cfm Holley style 4150 dp. But the street avenger you have, has vac 2nd's. So you can change the spring to have the secondaries open slower. I'm sure you just need a little tweak to it.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
W have the same engine setup in one of our race cars. Played with it for a long time and actually found a holley 2 barrel 500 cfm to me the best. Throttle response is linear. And the 500 holley outperformed on the dyon several 4 bbl setups of various sizes.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At this point I no longer have any adjustment springs. I'm trying to get a fresh start think this carb is like 7 years old.
It was never very responsive and bogged alot car still runs and drives but no performance.

I really just wanted some advice on brand and size. I'm not gonna mess with this carb. I'll probably sell it for what ever I can get.

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Also I was wondering the +\- of going with vacuum or mechanical secondarys. Thanks guys would love to get this sucker back on the road.

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Now this is pretty blanketed statement. But here it goes. Most vac secondaries aren't the best carbs for performance. I'd go with a double pumper. I.e. mech seconds. I would stay in the 600cfm range. I wouldn't go bigger than a 650cfm. Get a 4150 style flange.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would suggest pro systems. Go to his site and fill out the tech sheet and submit it. He will build a carb that will run perfect. He will tell you what size is appropriate for you combination. His 4150 dp's are $640. Best deal on a good carb.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com