Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » left turn signal/ hazards inop. 1990 mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: left turn signal/ hazards inop. 1990 mustang
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right turn signal operates as designed, but the left turn signal nothing. No light on the cluster or outside of the vehicle, however i do hear the flasher unit clicking (sounds a little different than the right side, almost like it's not switching properly on the left side). It is the original baby blue flasher. I inspected the multifunction switch for burnt connectors, all okay. Found 2 wires pulled out of connector (one black and gray wire, one black and white wire) but I honestly might have pulled em off while trying
To work the connector off the switch. Re-installed pins to connector and re-tested. Same result, no left turn signal. Also my hazards are inop. The weird thing is if I have the selector on the left turn the lights will be inop but I can hear the flasher like stated above, but as soon as I press the hazard switch while the left turn signal is selected, the clicking stops.

Any of you guys have any similar experiences? Also does anybody have a multifunction switch and hazard switch diagram and connector views?

Thanks.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Found the diagram not the connector view

--------------------

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had this problem before... If you hear the clicking its probably not the blue thing in the dash. I had to remove the lower part of my steering wheel cover and there is a white connector mounted on the bottom of the wheel. Sometimes these come loose and will cause these symptoms

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 3-0-Tunes:
Had this problem before... If you hear the clicking its probably not the blue thing in the dash. I had to remove the lower part of my steering wheel cover and there is a white connector mounted on the bottom of the wheel. Sometimes these come loose and will cause these symptoms

This is especially true if someone tried to steal your car previously (even before you purchased it).

My friends 89 had this problem and i had to bend the metal tabs under the colum that hold this connector so it would fit tighter.

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Im trying to identify the connector u are talking about. The only white connector I see on the bottom of my steering column is my ignition switch connector?

How many pins does this connector have? Big connector? Small?How far down the steering column? Sounds like your saying right under the wheel with the steering column bezel removed, but jist trying to confirm.

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Is it possible that it is in another location due to the fact that mine doesn't have tilt column like the 89 u mentioned?

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Okay so I backprobed the harness to the turn signal switch, first from the left side wires and then from the right side (the left side wires are green with stripes and the right side are blue with stripes, the orange and yellow wire are supplying voltage to the switch.) When I only had .9 volts pulsing at the green pins with the left turn signal selected and battery voltage at the blue wires with the right turn signal selected. So at first im thinking okay I have bad switch contacts in the turn signal switch. BUT THEN I did the same test to the supply voltage wire (orange and yellow, one wire supplies voltage for the ENTIRE SWITCH ) and got the same results! Meaning im getting low SUPPLY voltage (almost nothing) to the switch when left turn is selected and battery voltage when the right side is selected. Same damn wire though, be for the switch!

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

The only thing I can really suspect at this point is that the flasher unit is causing high resistance at one polarity and normal resistance at the other polarity? Not even sure thats how the flasher works. The flasher unit in theory should operate the same regardless of which direction the switch is. But the only other thing on that circuit is the hazard switch but that should remain in the same position as long as the hazard switch is off. Nothing should change in the hazard switch from left to right, right?

Sorry for post whoring, just want to supply all the info I can give about what im finding

--------------------

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Change the blue flasher. It's only like 5 bucks. I had a issue similar to yours with my 86

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Correct light bulbs?

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com