Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1995 SuperCharged 5.0 Pinging Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1995 SuperCharged 5.0 Pinging Help
JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JON_SVT  Ford pictures for JON_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a 95 mustang GT 5.0. Completely stock with a Paxton Novi 2000. It pings like crazy. The timing is set at 10, I lowered it to 7-8 and it still pings like crazy. It currently has motor craft spark plugs gapped at .045. What could it be?
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wat size injectors....back it out to 10 n put autolite 26 gapped @ . 35...use octane booster
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drop the spark plug gap. Other wise you are going to be blowing out the spark flames.. Also how much boost are you running?

[ 2014-06-09, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need to know how much boost and make sure your damper is not spun. Also do a TRUE TDC check. Many of those dampers are off from the factory. with 10Lbs of boost you need to keep the total timing around 20* BTDC MAX

[ 2014-06-09, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size injectors and fuel pump? Do you have a boost retard? Spark plug gap seems too big.. try colder plugs and smaller gap.. i used autolite 24 plugs gapped around 32-35 for my procharged setup.. bump the fuel pressure to 42-44 psi.. initial timing at 10* and pull the timing with the retard..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just went threw this with my 95, it had the wrong timing pointer on it, it was the one that came on the motor when I got it , I found out it was the wrong one when I verified TDC, it was off by at least 15 degrees, I would put one colder range plug and gap it at .032, I wouldn't put more than 18 total degrees with 91 octane, you can lock timing at 18 degrees, also did you run it hard before you put the blower on it? I have had stock 94-95s ping like crazy because they were babied their whole life and never ran hard, due to the intake design which would create carbon build up. After you verify TDC is correct, correct plug setup and timing is no higher than 18 degrees then I would look at your fuel setup, also if you get a chip done for it I would have the fans come on 20 degrees sooner.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I just went threw this with my 95, it had the wrong timing pointer on it, it was the one that came on the motor when I got it , I found out it was the wrong one when I verified TDC, it was off by at least 15 degrees, I would put one colder range plug and gap it at .032, I wouldn't put more than 18 total degrees with 91 octane, you can lock timing at 18 degrees, also did you run it hard before you put the blower on it? I have had stock 94-95s ping like crazy because they were babied their whole life and never ran hard, due to the intake design which would create carbon build up. After you verify TDC is correct, correct plug setup and timing is no higher than 18 degrees then I would look at your fuel setup, also if you get a chip done for it I would have the fans come on 20 degrees sooner.

listen to what this guy says! hes the one who basically walked me through all the lil quirks and questions with my setup! [patriot]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CoyoteCoupe:
It's a 95 mustang GT 5.0. Completely stock with a Paxton Novi 2000. It pings like crazy. The timing is set at 10, I lowered it to 7-8 and it still pings like crazy. It currently has motor craft spark plugs gapped at .045. What could it be?

I think ur not running enough fuel, what inj and fuel pump? Run autolites 24s gap at 32...

[ 2014-06-09, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: 87TURBO ]

--------------------
turbo people

Posts: 403 | From: modesto/sanjose | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blow_U_In_Reverse:
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

listen to what this guy says! hes the one who basically walked me through all the lil quirks and questions with my setup! [patriot]
Thanks, also if you are running a breather setup, I wouldn't run PCV and plug off the oil line from the valve covers to the intake

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here you go.

-

[ 2014-06-10, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JON_SVT  Ford pictures for JON_SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the help! I got it to stop pinging, I lowered the timing and installed a new set of spark plugs. It's a 5-6 psi unit. Now while the car idles the temperature is fine but when I drive it the temperature rises too high. Car has 19 # injectors with a FMU, not sure on the fuel pump it has. I had the owner of the car buy a fuel pressure regulator and gauge.
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ditch the fmu and get the pig pump, fuel injectors n maf....also lile lee said hsve the fans come on sooner n a 160,170 T STAT WOULD HELP
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

I also installed a 160 thermostat, the fan comes on and off like it should. The fan coming on sooner would help a lot.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I would have put a 180 thermostat, 160 will cause it run in a cold loop, when you get the fans to come on sooner, also if its overheating, it might be head gasket, is it a Paxton sn2000 or Paxton novi2000? If it's a novi2000 it should be making more than 5-6lbs, you need at least 30lb injectors and a 340 pump or two 255 pumps.

[ 2014-06-10, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would question the fact that the timing had to be dropped so low with only 6#'s of boost, leads me to believe there are other issues to think about. Like posted above id check for true TDC.

I'm sure its a silly question but did you pull the spout when you set the timing? lol

JON_SVT
¯
Member # 9621

Yes I removed the spout when setting the timing. Could be that the harmonic balancer slipped, car only has 102k miles. The unit is a Paxton Novi2000. Car was overheated before, I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads at a machine shop.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com