Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cel p0411 96 cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cel p0411 96 cobra
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My brother's 96 cobra has cel p0411, what is this and what needs to be fixed, anything to point me in the right direction is very much appreciated. Thanks [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"Secondary Air Injection System Flow Improper".

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Kb69fastback
¯
Member # 13054

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kb69fastback  Ford pictures for Kb69fastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Secondary air injection pump or relay
This comes from identifix

Here are some test procedures

Test for power at the connector and check relay first

1. Ground the White/Orange (WT/OG) wire at pin 70 at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the key on and see if the air pump relay and air pump operates.

2. If the air pump doesn't run, check for battery voltage at the White wire at pin 5 (with pin 70 still grounded).

3. If voltage is present, access the air pump in the front corner of the Right Front (RF) fender and see if battery voltage is present at the pump on the White wire (with pin 70 grounded at the PCM).

4. If voltage is present at the pump, verify the ground circuit (Black wire) is in good condition.

5. If the power and ground circuits are OK, but the pump does not run, replace the pump.

6. If the pump runs after pin 70 is grounded at the PCM, start the engine. Monitor both upstream O2 sensors after grounding pin 70. The O2 sensors should indicate a lean signal immediately.

7. If they do not, then check the operation of the diverter valves and solenoids. Also check for signs of a damaged vacuum line to the solenoid.

[ 2014-05-19, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Kb69fastback ]

Posts: 90 | From: Roseville ca | Registered: Jul 2013  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Kb69fastback:

1. Ground the White/Orange (WT/OG) wire at pin 70 at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with the key on and see if the air pump relay and air pump operates.

2. If the air pump doesn't run, check for battery voltage at the White wire at pin 5 (with pin 70 still grounded).

3. If voltage is present, access the air pump in the front corner of the Right Front (RF) fender and see if battery voltage is present at the pump on the White wire (with pin 70 grounded at the PCM).

4. If voltage is present at the pump, verify the ground circuit (Black wire) is in good condition.

5. If the power and ground circuits are OK, but the pump does not run, replace the pump.

6. If the pump runs after pin 70 is grounded at the PCM, start the engine. Monitor both upstream O2 sensors after grounding pin 70. The O2 sensors should indicate a lean signal immediately.

7. If they do not, then check the operation of the diverter valves and solenoids. Also check for signs of a damaged vacuum line to the solenoid.

Where are these diverter valves and solonoids?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Kb69fastback
¯
Member # 13054

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kb69fastback  Ford pictures for Kb69fastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
quote:

You've already done steps 1-6? Worry about steps 1-5 and I'm positive you'll find your answer their. It's either the pump, relay or wiring issue
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
quote:

You've already done steps 1-6? Worry about steps 1-5 and I'm positive you'll find your answer their. It's either the pump, relay or wiring issue
Ive put a new pump on, cost $160 lol but ill start over, never know right

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Double post

[ 2014-05-20, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: 9cobrasvt8 ]

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Kb69fastback
¯
Member # 13054

Jump the relay and see if it kicks on

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com