Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » i need help sudden loss of oil pressure

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: i need help sudden loss of oil pressure
treyh0lla
¯
Member # 11822

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for treyh0lla  Ford pictures for treyh0lla    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so i have a 99gt supercharged and after racing the car i had a sudden loss of oil pressure. I have already changed the oil to see if any metal was in it an it was clean. The car starts and runs fine however once the engine warms up it intermitintly loose s oil pressure. The sudden loss of pressure causes a tickin on the valve cover that sounds like a lifter. But goes away when the oil pressure comes bqck.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like your engine is starting to get worn out. What weight oil are you running? Try running some 10w40?
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess either spun a bearing or maybe the relief valve in oil pump is stuck or weak

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bad oil pump.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine did that when I cracked the block.

Sounds like it could be a lot of things...

Good Luck

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unfortunately you have to pull it and take it apart. Basically no other choice as the valve train noise tells the story. Something is most likely wrong with the pump if the oil pressure comes and goes. If it was a rod or main the pressure would stay low all the time. Very puzzling at best!! Why would the pressure be intermittent that is very strange??

[ 2014-05-07, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before anything install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what a true reading is not the factory ford "dummy" gauge and what it's reading..but yes does sound like a spun rod bearing..good luck

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well that is an option. But the guy says the lifters are collapsing. That is a dead giveaway the engine is not making OIL PRESSURE!!

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ where did you get your solid "lifters are collapsing" statement from "sounds like a lifter" in the OP [Confused] def no solid ground at all in this thread just a bunch of opinions lol..OP put a mechanical gauge on it and read what REAL oil pressure is and start from there..

[ 2014-05-07, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

The sudden loss of pressure causes a tickin on the valve cover that sounds like a lifter.

But goes away when the oil pressure comes bqck. He never said he had solids?? But lets assume he does something is ticking and goes away when the pressure returns. Like i said checking with a gauge is a good option and i would do that. But it seems like he is loosing pressure. That is what he posted. Not being on site we all are assuming!

[ 2014-05-09, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the gauge drops and the motor starts ticking same time, there is no need to check it with another gauge. Lol

--------------------

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

That is my thoughts. The ticking is the giveaway the pressure is not there. But why intermittently? Could be sludge like the older 5.0 motors? I used to see them all the time.

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Lol non modular guys crack me up... it's prob a bent pushrod,take em out and roll them down the driveway to see if there bent that might be your issue!

[ 2014-05-10, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

I have a push rod engine that makes tuns of ponies!

--------------------

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Non modular? Well ok then. You keep checking that oil pressure sender junior. Let us know the results

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

^ junior huh..lol you have zero clue who your talking too clown [Roll Eyes]

Reason I tell the OP to check a mechanical gauge is the fact that modulars are NOTORIOUS for what people think is a "lifter tick" or "roller rockers" or whatever wack ass assumption most come up with when in reality it's completely normal and is simply a running engine with loose tolerances working away..could simply be this and a coencidental faulty gauge throwing his diagnoses of what's going on off,nobody said shit about the sender [Roll Eyes] when it comes to a possible oil pressure issue you always eliminate the factory gauge and what it's reading for a true reading of what's going on,shit he could have solid pressure and still have a hell-of a noise coming from his engine you just never kno..

[ 2014-05-11, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your actual oil pressure first. Everything else is just guessing...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

^ I rest my case,thanks J

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
^ junior huh..lol you have zero clue who your talking too clown [Roll Eyes]

I guess the same could be said likewise correct? Which was the point I was getting at. You don't know what I work on or who we are either. don't assume because my sig says fastbacks that they don't have a modular in them..LOL

I have love for modular, as long as there is forced induction involved

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Likewise... Just watch your "jr's" while on the interwebs [Wink]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
easiest way to see if metal is in oil pan or engine is to cut open oil filter with oilfilter cutter. if there is no metal in filter. like they said put manual guage. ive seen fords oil pressure guages suck ass. brand new build or high mileage bottom end? year make model?

[ 2014-05-14, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: SacStangDriver ]

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
treyh0lla
¯
Member # 11822

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for treyh0lla  Ford pictures for treyh0lla    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I finally found out what the problem was. The chain cam guide got eaten up and dropped all the debris into the oil pan. the plastic pieces were blocking the pick up tube thus the loss in oil pressure.
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn that sucks. glad you got it figured out. hit up MMR for some quality replacement parts!

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com