Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » !!!!!!Port and polish!!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: !!!!!!Port and polish!!!!!!
redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When porting and polishing heads how far down the runner do you port out...... I was told about an inch or so [patriot]

[ 2014-05-05, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: red5o ]

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for brandon151  Ford pictures for brandon151    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i know they are a little different but ive ported a few motocross bike heads and the deeper you can go in those the better... but the design is way different than runners for a car. i know theres a lot of info online for tips... maybe try google if you havent already.
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Porting heads is not a job for rookies. You need to do some serious research and understand the shortcomings of the head you are porting before you even think about touching it with a tool. Just hogging out the ports with kill the velocity of the intake charge resulting in worse flow then you started with.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just go about 1- 1 1/2 inches in on a port match. I'd just smooth the intake runner with a cartridge roll and then port match the exhaust port to the header your using. Try to give the exhaust side more of a polished look. Just take your time, go slow. I've picked up a 10th in the quarter doing this at a cost of $10 in supplies and time.
wheelsonly
¯
Member # 10220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheelsonly  Ford pictures for wheelsonly    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So first off opening the face of the port Is the wrong place to start porting..

First I do a valve job esp.. If I am going to put a larger valve.. I will do 3-7 angles on the int. and drop a plunge cutter in the bowl 90 percent of the valve diameter it will look something like this.. On the exhaust I use a 45 with a .060 seat and a radius Cutter..

-
 -

Then I work down in to the port and trim the guides and blend the short side radius get it to look something like this..
 -
 -

If I do any matching I like to bolt the manifold to the head any
match the runners. Like in these afr to holley manifold..
 -
 -

Here is some before and after of these stock 243 castings with some before and after numbers..
 -

[ 2014-05-11, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: wheelsonly ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com