Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car starts and the shuts off. (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Car starts and the shuts off.
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can it be a timing thing? On a cold start the car turns on like nothing. But when already been driven for about 10min or more and i get to where i was going and shut it off. When i get back in my car and turn it on it starts but shuts off right away. I notice i barely have to give it any gas and itll stay on after a while. Can it be timing or idle? Fuel pump and fuel filter are new. Battery and alternator new as well. Help?

Incase it matters, Mods to car are:
Shift kit
Bbk cold air
Bbk shorty headers
Bbk o/r h pipe
Flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust
3.73 gears

[ 2014-05-05, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFI module, Or distributor.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
TFI module, Or distributor.

Im thinkin something with distributor. Shits frustrating. At idle rpms are about 600. Is that normal?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Anyone?

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto tranny right?

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Yes

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had basically the same issue with mine a while back. Runs great and after shutting it off, then trying to restart it, it either ran for a minute and died, or wouldn't start. It would finally start about 5 minutes later.
PIP sensor in the distributor was the key. I replaced the TFI but it kept doing that exact thing. I replaced the distributor and haven't had that problem since. Going on a few months now.

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

600 rpm is normal when in drive and 8-900 rpm in park.

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by SLOW95GTS:
600 rpm is normal when in drive and 8-900 rpm in park.

Its like 600-650 in park.

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
Had basically the same issue with mine a while back. Runs great and after shutting it off, then trying to restart it, it either ran for a minute and died, or wouldn't start. It would finally start about 5 minutes later.
PIP sensor in the distributor was the key. I replaced the TFI but it kept doing that exact thing. I replaced the distributor and haven't had that problem since. Going on a few months now.

Yeah im going to try n have it timed. And if thats not it the distributor is next option

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Problem solved. It was my timing. Thanks guys. Mods can delete now please

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why delete it? This may help someone in the future! What was your timing set at to make it do that?
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
Why delete it? This may help someone in the future! What was your timing set at to make it do that?

Good thing they ddnt its still doing it. Timing i was told was set to 12. Dnt know what that means. But im thinkin its a dirty iac. Ill check tomorrow. I cleaned maf today and even swapped it out. Ddnt fix it. I checked to see if any lines or hoses were lose or cracked and found nothing. I notice that when i first start car it drops rpms and dies. Then when i try to restart it and it almost dies out then stays on. Kind of boggles a little and drops rpms ans then comes back to life. Im stumped. Damn car never did this and just started about a week ago

[ 2014-05-05, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Base timing for the 5.0L is 10 degrees so having it at 12 shouldn't have that much effect on it, but stranger things have happened.

The way you just described it sounds like a vacuum issue. Have you checked for any codes, even though you don't get a check engine light?

I'm still thinking PIP sensor in the dizzy. That does wierd things when going out.

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the iac when at idle, any change? I would guess the problem is iac related and not timing. 600 is a bit low for an automatic in park.

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by American Iron Garage:
Unplug the iac when at idle, any change? I would guess the problem is iac related and not timing. 600 is a bit low for an automatic in park.

Shuts off as soon as i unplug

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok. to save me typing it all, here is a pretty good step by step guide. also if you just swapped to a aod you may need idle raised anyhow to allow for load in gear

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

[ 2014-05-06, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: American Iron Garage ]

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by American Iron Garage:
ok. to save me typing it all, here is a pretty good step by step guide. also if you just swapped to a aod you may need idle raised anyhow to allow for load in gear

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,1031.0.html

Damnit gotta get a volt meter now. And the aod was installed new about a year ago along with shift kit and all. This problem just started when i did my 3g alternator. Ill try it tomorrow and see what i get. Like ive stated car only does this when first starting. Once I re-start it itll stay on but kind of want to shut off and regain idle. After that itll stay on fine and never shut off on me. But just the first start and shut off Is annoying..

[Confused] [patriot]

[ 2014-05-06, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Checked the tps. And it was reading .75 So i messed with it and put it to .99

Fixed problem so far. Hopefully it stays fixed [patriot]

[ 2014-05-07, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was your car running better before the dude thought wrong night? .99 is good. I had an issue like that , TPS was at .85 But could not adjust anymore, I had extras and installed . I think it's around .96 seems to idle perfect.

[ 2014-05-07, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: rollininmy50 ]

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First thing the TPS adjustment is not critical and can be anywhere from .55 to 1.12 Volts. If your TPS is in that range it is OK. Is your MIN IDLE adjustment correct?? You said the engine died when the IAC was disconnected. That is not correct and needs to be addressed. If the engine idles remove the connector from the IAC and see if the engine continues to run. If not the MIN idle adjustment has to be performed. Is the IAC clean and can you blow through it with it off the car. If air passes through the valve when not connected it is either defective or dirty. You need to check that and if not this way it will act as you posted. that is where i would start. And don't forget to change both the PIP and TFI with genuine Ford parts. I do this every 2 years on my TFI ignition cars. Also if it is not remote mounted i would recommend doing that. Good luck

[ 2014-05-07, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by rollininmy50:
Was your car running better before the dude thought wrong night? .99 is good. I had an issue like that , TPS was at .85 But could not adjust anymore, I had extras and installed . I think it's around .96 seems to idle perfect.

No that night is was runnin funny still. I think this is way better. Going like 15mph i gun it and burn rubber still. Like i said i did it this morning and still no issues. If you needa know how to adjust it pm me.

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
First thing the TPS adjustment is not critical and can be anywhere from .55 to 1.12 Volts. If your TPS is in that range it is OK. Is your MIN IDLE adjustment correct?? You said the engine died when the IAC was disconnected. That is not correct and needs to be addressed. If the engine idles remove the connector from the IAC and see if the engine continues to run. If not the MIN idle adjustment has to be performed. Is the IAC clean and can you blow through it with it off the car. If air passes through the valve when not connected it is either defective or dirty. You need to check that and if not this way it will act as you posted. that is where i would start. And don't forget to change both the PIP and TFI with genuine Ford parts. I do this every 2 years on my TFI ignition cars. Also if it is not remote mounted i would recommend doing that. Good luck

All the forums ive read state that if an IAC is bad the car will stay on. If it is doing its job the car will shut off when you disconnect it. So....i followed the link American Iton Garage sent. I did do a cleaning on the IAC. I also cleaned out the throttle body. Aslo the mass air flow sensor. As well as clean the bbk air filter. Right now it idles great and hasnt shut off on me at all.

[ 2014-05-07, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
glad to hear its better. sounds like your on the right track. Let me know if you need any other info.

--------------------

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

also keep in mind that the tps was reading low because likely your base idle is too low. anytime you adjust the base idle you should recheck the TPS reading

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com