Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 97 cobra gets hot with ONLY with a/c on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 97 cobra gets hot with ONLY with a/c on
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've noticed my car runs hot when I have the ac on . Its a 97 cobra stock cooling system I seen its a common prob with these cars would a bigger aluminum radiator fix this?

[ 2014-05-03, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: FOXX5.0 ]

dean-93
¯
Member # 9401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dean-93  Ford pictures for dean-93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
e fan turning on with ac on?
Posts: 1175 | From: novato and fairfeild | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes it is
1SICK89
¯
Member # 8619

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SICK89  Ford pictures for 1SICK89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My cobra is doing the same have you figured it out by any chance???
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

quote:
Originally posted by 1SICK86:
My cobra is doing the same have you figured it out by any chance???

Not yet im going to try and change out the thermostat to a 180 degree stock I believe is 195 and replace that nasty coolant that's in there right now. I'll let you know what happens if this doesn't help i'm just going to replace the radiator two a 3 row aluminum
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about getting a fan controller? I have mine coming on 20 degrees sooner, which seemed to help my 95 cobra with a S-trim in traffic today with the A/C on

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure it's the high speed fan is turning on?
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Previous owner installed a switch for the fan to come on with the flip of the switch but not sure if its the high speed or low speed
WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Normally when you run the a/c the high speed will kick on due to the added load on the motor. You can trouble shoot it by connecting the fan directly to the battery, check both high side and low side. Then check to see if the fan speed that kicks on with the switch matches the high or low.

that will also rule out if the high side is working or not.

[ 2014-06-10, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: WILDMAN97 ]

FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

I'll check that out thanks
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try some " water wetter" additive I have had good results with it!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

I picked some up the other day buy no luck yet
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's on a switch, I'll bet it's not on the high speed. Put it back together the right way, fix the fan controller (reason why the switch was installed in the first place) and it'll stay at the temp it's supposed to.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
If it's on a switch, I'll bet it's not on the high speed. Put it back together the right way, fix the fan controller (reason why the switch was installed in the first place) and it'll stay at the temp it's supposed to.

THIS

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
Try some " water wetter" additive I have had good results with it!

not trying to hijack the thread but how much of a difference did the water wetter stuff make. Drop in degrees etc? HOw much did you pour in and what ratio did you use. Ill take this to pm to not hijack the thread. Thanks

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com