Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Intake: Stock Edel or ported Explorer?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Intake: Stock Edel or ported Explorer?
Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dave  Ford pictures for Big Dave    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up, just posing the question. I have an untouched Edelbrock on my fox 5.0 now with twisted wedge 170 heads and a mild cam. I have a ported (lower and upper) Explorer intake and a good gasket sitting in the garage. Been trying to sell them but no luck.

think there's any advantage to the ported explorer intake?

--------------------
86 GT Vert with some mods. Yup

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not really, I believe the porting on gt40 intake matches the flow of the edelbrock.
If I were you I wouldn't bother changing the intake unless you getting a holley or RPM2 intake.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

koupe377
¯
Member # 13461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for koupe377  Ford pictures for koupe377    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those TW 170's flow about 250cfm out of the box. The Eddy intake (I'm assuming is the Performer) flows about 210cfm and an unported Explorer flows 200.

A ported Explorer will flow more than an out of the box Eddy and will feed your heads better. As it is now you are not getting the full flow potential of a 250cfm head with a 210cfm intake. Depending how much work was done to that Explorer it would be nice if it flowed 250 but even better if it was closer to 270cfm. You actually want the intake to flow more than the cfm rating of the head. You didn't really give to much info on the port job.

[ 2014-05-05, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: koupe377 ]

Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Dave  Ford pictures for Big Dave    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea honestly I don't know much about the port job, it was done by someone local here, never flow benched so who knows if it's any good or not. It is opened up pretty well, but again, might end up being worse, who knows without real #s.

I was just curious as I've been sitting on this intake for a year....and honestly just need something to do, haha.

--------------------

koupe377
¯
Member # 13461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for koupe377  Ford pictures for koupe377    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go ahead and put it on and see how the car feels. If you've already dyno'd the car the way it sits then after you swap it go back to the dyno again but try to do it on a day that is going to be as close to the same weather conditions as the first time.
Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

I'll give it a try.
I also have a 1" spacer...keep or no? It's either the spacer or the strut tower brace.

Last time I had it on the dyno I didn't even get to pull past 5k because I blew a tire. Wasted trip, but my torque curve was flat from 3k through to 5k at 302tq.

--------------------

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Waste of time IMO. Sell both intakes and pick up a holly or rpm2. If not then just keep the edelbrock on there.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

koupe377
¯
Member # 13461

No don't put the spacer on there. There's no reason with the combo you have to and an 1" of runner length.
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Waste of time & money. Even if you are lucky and get 5 more hp. you will never be able to tell. If you tracked the car and was looking for a extra .050 then go ahead, but you not going to see much of anything.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Big Dave
¯
Member # 13142

Nope, no track time for the car. Just wanting to do something different.

As for the spacer, I thought it lowered the power curve in the rpm range? It was my daily driver so having that low end was really important to me, I rarely go over 5k.

That may be fun to try, though. Take the spacer off and add my strut brace!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com