Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 swap?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351 swap?
just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am debating on putting a 351w in my 89 coupe and was curious what all I need and what all do I have to modify to make it fit?

--------------------
R.I.P 91 Black LX: 13.45@102.62

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pan , 28 balance stuff, 351 lower intake and dis, ive done 5 now.
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Duncan, with 5 now....how do you compare the 351 to the 302...i know the goodies like h/c/i affect the performance of the engine, but in general is the swap better than the 302w...
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
awesome, better than a 347 or 331 stroked in my opinion or in any that that ive ran in. hands down awesome an can be cheap, problems are possible hood clearance with a stock hood,and traction in the beginning gears is tricky. a 302 to a 347 is putting a 302 to its limits, while the 351 kicks 347 ass and the 351 can just be stock an is just beginning at its starting point for performance upgrades. alot of parts interchange, and if u want u can disguise the 351 to be smog legal even with a lil work. some say that it revs slower but i call that bullshit to a average noticing point, i have one in my daily driven drift bucket and it rocks. the stock block and components easily handle 500 plus hp. u can have a cheap 351 that will whoop a expensive high end stroker 302 and if u want u can have a fire breathing 427 351 if u want. i think the block weighs 50 pounds more if that means anything, and all the swap parts can be reasonable bought anywhere.
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about alternator and powersteering brackets? I'm beginning to start a 351 In my cousins coupe so I want to get everything together before I slap it in

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

alt brackets are the same, powersteering brackets can be modified or u can buy from fms with or with ac just like the fox.
just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have to change headers? I have Mac equal length Do I have to modify steering shaft

--------------------

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, need to change headers. 5.0 shorties flair into the steering. I picked up some bbk ones, fit great and according to the manufacture has eo#, just not on the weld on tag.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

dam near every major gd company sells 351 spec eng swap headers for this deal, do not have to mod anything, everything is a bolt in .
just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Do you know if they are smog legal headers

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

no not one, the ford fms non coated headers look stock but flow great for shorties. if u can find a set or 302 headers with the carb eo number, grind the welds off to remove the plate then simply tack them on to your new headers of choice and if its done clean enough no one will no the difference, if u buy correct swap headers any 302 h pipe will still work the same as in with cats or non. long tubes or shorties.
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Read the footnote and take it for what is worth..
[URL=http:// http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/exhaust/ford-mustang-exhaust/ford-mustang-swap-headers/351-windsor-mustang-swap-header-system.html]bbk 351w shorties[/URL]

[ 2014-04-17, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Bent70 ]

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im going 351 after i max out the 302. 190cc heads then port those suckers if theres room to port and all the other hci goodies then swap everything over when ready to drop a 351. like ducan said it beats spending money on a 347, my only beef is keeping it smog legal.

another thing to keep in mind on your head selection if you buy 302 heads for a 351 expect 302 power. 165-190cc are consider 302 heads.

[ 2014-04-23, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: diablounicorn ]

tlcluver21
¯
Member # 9062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlcluver21  Ford pictures for tlcluver21    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you don't think afr 185 heads will bring good power for a 351?
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tlcluver21:
So you don't think afr 185 heads will bring good power for a 351?

They will make power and a SHIT LOAD of torque.. but they will still be restricting the motor from its full potential.. just depends on ur goals & intentions with the caf.. If ur building a street car, 185cc heads will be great.. thats what im putting on my 351w..

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
tlcluver21
¯
Member # 9062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlcluver21  Ford pictures for tlcluver21    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I got a 79 block and a stock crank that needs to be cut and a brand new set of I beam rods just need to pick out a set of pistons. My afr 185 are the old competition heads which flow very close to that of there 205 heads. So I think your right with a retro fit cam and lifter bars I think the torque be crazy. Thanks forthe info

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com