Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1987 ford mustang GT does this car have a check engine light

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1987 ford mustang GT does this car have a check engine light
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for firemen87  Ford pictures for firemen87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys iam gonna go smog my mustang tommrow does this car have a check engine light and whats tha basic smog check conist on this car visual and running the car the car is a 1987 ford mustang Gt it has a maf conversion done to it .
SacStangDriver
¯
Member # 8304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacStangDriver  Ford pictures for SacStangDriver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
koeo the check engine light should be on solid. koer check engine light should be off. as long as all smog components there you'll be ok.

--------------------
Need sidework done at great prices? I work on all makes and models from engine work to gears. Check engine light problems too. 916 912 3493

Posts: 1217 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for firemen87  Ford pictures for firemen87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive herd with this year car it didnt because it came with SD
rollininmy50
¯
Member # 9067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollininmy50  Ford pictures for rollininmy50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had kinda the same issue when I went to smog my 88. It had mass air flow, but the smog guy wasn't sure if this was a California car. From what he said is , if the light comes on when starting the motor then it's possible it was not built for California . Other states did not require the light on at koeo. You may look into this with your local smog people. I had such an issue I scraped the shell and put everything into a newer fox shell. But also be sure non of your bulbs are out. In the non mass air stangs on the lower right of the dash bezel was the check engine light I believe, should be 4 bulbs.
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

yea i try to smog it today the smog guy told theres to many mods on the car and that the car was to radical for the dyno WTF THAT MEAN
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have carb stickers for anything that has been bolted on? too radical for the dyno?

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

yup i have all the paper work and stickers yea he said the car kept sliding off the dyno he blamed in on the cam and then said it could be a drive abilty ??? i was told a b303 cam isnt that radical i need help iam running out of time on my car i oready paid some guy $350 to do mine and now he aint answering his phone
egress
¯
Member # 13128

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for egress  Ford pictures for egress    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
B303 isn't smog legal. But you gave $350 to some random guy to smog it? Could've hit up neight. [patriot]
Posts: 286 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

yea sucked big time
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

i contacted him no response iam pretty close just put the car on non op
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like there's more to this story. Why wouldnt you go to another smog tech? Why would you pay someone $350 if the car had all the carb numbers?

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

car has 306 with b303 cam shorty headers and only has 2 cats
diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shouldve went to a different shop, i dont have tail pipes running straight off the cats, one smog shop didnt want to do the smog because he was lazy to get under the car. went to another shop and passed with ease
firemen87
¯
Member # 13492

so i got the car almost ready to go back to the smog shop i found a stock H pipe with all 4 cats my qustion is will my car be pretty quiet with all 4 cats and any sujestions for smog shops in tracy,stockton,lodi,manteca, modesto that are pretty ease on visual ??

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com